General Category > General Discussion

Turning with Gloves On

<< < (6/6)

Mark Hancock:

--- Quote from: The Bowler Hatted Turner on November 13, 2013, 08:01:36 AM ---here is another thought. It might only apply to me but when I am turning I am constantly touching and feeling what I am making, this may be down to failing eyesight but I think I have always worked this way on the lathe.If I was to suddenly start wearing gloves I feel that could be the cause of an accident in an unguarded and unconscious action.
Regards
John BHT

--- End quote ---
John
I would have thought that is simply a different situation where there is no benefit from wearing gloves. You'd be pass the stage of flying splinters and hopefully having re- assessed the risks involved concluded that wearing gloves would now be more of a risk than not wearing. As I said before continually risk assessment.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
I think what you have just said is correct Mark, it would be past the stage of flying splinters and yes continual RA is the way to go.
Funnily enough today is the first day this year when my hands have got cold in the workshop and this thread sprung to mind (I know I know, I should have been thinking of the work in hand not letting my mind wander)and this was enough for me to reassess my workshop heating.
 I am contemplating making up a polythene screen to drop down so that I do not have to heat such a large area, but of course that then presents other risks to be assessed, fire and escape routes.
 I used to have a woodburner for heating but took it out because it got too hot but I am seriously thinking of re-instating it.......... if only I had a wall spare.
Regards
John BHT

Eric Harvey:
this debate will go on and on with peoples differing views as no 2 views are the same.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version