General Category > General Discussion

Turning with Gloves On

<< < (2/6) > >>

bodrighywood:
I must admit that I agree with Paul. Anything that can potentially be caught in the chuck or wood be it gloves, loose clothing or, in my case hair, should be avoided, is dangerous and IMHO should be avoided. Maybe I have thick skin but I have never found that the flying chips are of big enough a problem to bother me that much on my hands, I find that when bowl turning they can be nasty flying up into my face but that isn't a problem with a visor.

Pete

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
It should be remembered that you should not use any machinery if you are unwell or injured, but we all know that goes out of the window as far as woodturning is concerned. After a lifetime in woodworking I could fill this website with horror stories of accidents, many caused by people wearing gloves.
If you have shavings hitting your fingers painfully there are things you can do or try first.
Reduce the lathe speed as this will reduce the momentum of the flying shavings. Try to re-direct the shavings by rotating the chisel to a slightly different angle. Try turning palm away instead of palm down and that may be a less painful way to deflect the chippings. You may also consider regrinding your chisel to a different angle as that will change the presentation and may also help re-direct the chippings.
If after all that you still feel the need for some sort of Armour I like Paul's suggestion about the sticking plaster. I would consider using a correctly fitted finger stall to protect an individual finger rather than a full glove that stands more chance of being grabbed.
You should all be risk assessing each operation you carry out on the lathe, or other machines, and that should include the negligent use of a glove.
Regards
John BHT

Eric Harvey:
I use fingerless weightlifting gloves in the winter when it gets cold to stop the semi arthritic fingers seizing up,as I only have a small oilfilled electric rad and seized finger are more dangerous than gloved ones in experience,they are close fitting with re-inforced leather palms and they end at the 1st joint(nearest the palm),

Eric.

The Bowler Hatted Turner:
Eric I hate to argue with you but as the H&S rep I feel I must(even though I prefer a colder workshop)
If the workshop temperature is such that it is uncomfortable to work, albeit through arthritis, just being cold or any other reason the advice is not to work until the workshop is brought up to a comfortable working temperature. Off the top of my head I think the recommended minimum is 13 degrees.
   I hate to appear to be a killjoy but none of the excuses mentioned here are sufficient reason to wear gloves whilst working on a machine. Bryan,if it is to dampen vibration the wood should be worked another way first to reduce the vibration.John, if you have an injury you should not be operating machinery. As I said before every time you enter your workshop you should be risk assessing constantly, just think like an employer, what would you say to an employee who did not adhere to your Health and safety policy?And I know that this sounds extreme, and it probably is to a point, but now think how fast you lathe is running and how quick your injurynegligent injury could happen.
regards
John BHT

woodndesign:

Sanding Gloves ... How is it on H&S ..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version