Author Topic: Hollow Form with bead cone finial  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
Hollow Form with bead cone finial
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:17:14 AM »
Thought I'd try something different ( although I've seen Les use these on his Christmas decorations ).
Form is 3 1/2" x 3 1/2".  Finial has a "bronze" bead cone attached to compliment the bronzing on the form.
The cone has not been glued to the finial ( anyone got an idea how to?) but it sits securely between the tip and base of the finial,cramped with pliers, and does not move vertically. It does however rotate on the finial and, if so wished, can be removed at any time.
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Hollow Form with bead cone finial
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2014, 11:19:16 AM »
Hi Rod....I've been experimenting with verdigris wax myself in the last few days and I can see where I'm going wrong....my detail, that I'm rubbing the wax into, isn't sufficiently deep for the colour to remain as prominent as what yours is. It's a lovely effect and the bronze bead-cap works really well with it; as you have pointed out.
I like the overall shape and the texturing....if I was pushed to find anything negative, it would be to say that the bulbous shape to the very tip of the finial looks a little lost...could it have been a little more prominent?
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 07:14:22 PM »
I understand the verdigris wax making the recesses appear patinated with age but what have you used for the "bronze " finish , is it a dye or paint , sprayed or brushed ....  Terry

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2014, 07:35:56 PM »
Thanks Les, good luck with the verdigris

Terry: The bronze is Liberon gilding cream, I think the colour's  called Fontainbleaux? I've had it quite some time and it's gone quite hard.
I applied it sparingly with my finger just brushing it over the surface, leave to dry and then polish with a soft cloth. Hope this helps

Regards
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 07:48:01 PM »
Rod,

when I first opened this thread, my first thoughts were, nice shape, awful finial. Then I clicked on and expanded the photo and I was wrong, the effect of the bronze overlay is very effective, almost as good as some of the unusual items Andy Coates uses.

What I will say is the bead below the tapered part could do with being a little more round and the transitions between the cap, bead and the bead and taper should be sharper, the 2 curves take just that little bit of crispness away from the overall effect.

But overall, I think it is a very dramatic piece.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 07:49:39 PM »
Rod, this piece hits the mark, classic form and finish, like the work to the finial too .. has an Indian feel to it with design.

You're really doing well with these. Well done.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2014, 04:27:47 PM »
           Hi Roderick

Like the form and finial a lot. The verdigris and bronze balance well

And the light box shows it off perfectly

Regards  Diane and Tony.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:29:45 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/