Author Topic: Magnetic tool racks  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Magnetic tool racks
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »
I've recently been given a couple of magnetic tool racks which I've fixed up, behind my lathe, but (and it's a big but) I've started to notice that sometimes, when I'm making a fine, delicate cut with a skew or a spindle gouge, the tool really drags on the tool-rest because their all becoming magnetised. If this builds up, what is currently a bit irritating, is going to become a more serious problem. Anybody out there had a similar experience?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Magnetic tool racks
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 02:09:33 PM »

Hi Les,  the first thing, I've not experienced similar, as I don't use such racks, ideal there use maybe, I'd not chance reaching over the lathe for tools on such a rack, the other thing besides you're finding the tool drags on the rest, is with grinding/sharpening on a dry system, the metal being removed, I consider would stick to the tool, again adding resistance, if not transferring to other surfaces.

The option is to strike the tool every time to distroy the magnetism, yet over time could result in tool damage. IMHO.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 03:46:00 PM »
I've got a couple of these racks but use them for holding measuring calipers, chuck keys etc. Not noticed any magnetism with these though. Malcolm.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
use mine for scrapers only but not noticed any magnetism on them...

maybe you're just magnetic les...

have you tested to see if its the tool rest rather than the tools?

bobh

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:43:03 PM »
Tried this myself, problem I had was fine metal filings clinging to the tool after grinding. Didn't improve my dismal grinding skills.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 07:33:08 AM »
Hi Les,
          I experienced a similar problem a while back and so decided not to store my tools on a magnetic rack.
The problem is caused by dragging the tool over the magnet as you remove it,in effect stroking the tool with the magnet and so magnetising it. This IMHO is not a desirable outcome for your tools precisely for the reasons that you have already found out.
    I still use magnets but they are for holding verniers and 6" rules now.
You are better off not having to reach over the lathe to get to tools but I know some do because of restricted space in the workshop, if you have to do this make the tools easy to get hold of rather than end up wrestling with a magnet.
   I'm trying hard to think of a positive reason for having a magnetised chisel but can't really.

Offline Robin Goodman

• iron
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:17 PM »
A simple and effective way to demagnetise your tools is to use a magnetiser/demagnetiser tool.  If you buy the 50x 50mm tool with 2 slots ( from only £0.99 on eBay or £1.31 from online retailer), it will demagnetise any turning tool less than about 25mm wide.   I find it particularly useful for magnetising screwdrivers and hex chuck keys to prevent screws, including chuck jaw fixing screws, falling into the shavings.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
Magnetism may not be the only cause of tools dragging on the rest, a build up of dust can do it. Try a clean up with some worn abrasive, on both tool and rest.
Ron

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
'course those of us with a magnetic personality are used to it ;D ;D