Author Topic: Pen Turning - branch wood  (Read 2984 times)

Paul Disdle

Pen Turning - branch wood
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »
I have a dead olive tree in my garden and was thinking of using some of the branch wood for pens. The tree has been dead for over a year so the wood is no longer green. The branches are about an inch round.

When i drill the wood is it best to drill down the pith or try and miss it and drill down one side?

Thanks

Paul

Offline George Watkins

• bronze
    • FromTheTree
Re: Pen Turning - branch wood
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »
I would drill down the pith but depending on how regular the growth rings are this may make for quite a boring grain pattern- so you may need to drill thru the pith at a slight diagonal or turn the pen a nice curvy shape as opposed to straight sides.

Olive dries very slowly so the other thing you might need to do is turn the branch down to near the final size then drill the holes a couple of mm undersize and then set it aside for a few days in your house and see if it is dry enough- it might move just a little as it dries and then you can re-drill it, glue the tubes in and finish the pen.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 09:41:35 AM »
Remember that olive wood will slowly dissolve the plating on the pen unless you treat it properly!

Paul Disdle

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 12:41:30 PM »
What treatment is needed?

Paul

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 01:41:10 PM »
 Something that will seal the wood completely. Perhaps melamine lacquer or something like that.

Paul Disdle

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 05:38:31 PM »
OK, would sander sealer do the job I have, spirit, cellouse and acrylic or a CA finish? Just
trying not to have to buy another product.

Thanks

Paul

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 12:10:55 AM »
I soak my Olive wood in cellulose thinners to dissolve and draw out the natural oil, turn and seal with sanding sealer then whatever finish you like other than oil.

I  have made numerous pens with gold plating and with this treatment never had a problem with the gold plate flaking.

Cheers Martin
Martin Lawrence