Author Topic: From light bulbs to candles!  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
From light bulbs to candles!
« on: January 20, 2014, 07:22:34 AM »
Thanks everyone for the excellent response to the recent question about table lamps. let's change the subject now, and talk about candles. What sparked this off was a recent visit to a craft shop to deliver some stock, where I saw some votive-candle holders. I couldn't get over just how little work the maker had put into them! A piece of oak, 3"x1" in section, and 5" long, with three holes bored to about a half of the depth of the wood, along the centre-line. A tea-light was placed into each, but no liners were used. I was shocked at the price (£12), but more concerned about the lack of a liner....then I noticed loads more similar things, like stubby bits of branchwood with a candle in, etc etc.

What's the legal position....are we jut responsible for producing 'safe' items.....is there a specific law? Over to you!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: From light bulbs to candles!
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 08:37:22 AM »
Les,

I'm no expert on this but as I understand the law, there must be a non-flamable interface between the wax (candle) and the wood. This goes for all candlesticks, so even things like the large candlesticks for Church candles need a Brass/Copper top on them. For tea-lights the little metal container is allowable, but...

...in my Bristol club we have an ex-fire inspector, he will not let us sell tealight holders without the glass insert (available from places like IKEA) due to some of the fires he's had to review ('nuf said).

Lastly, all candle holders should come with a warning, there are several Must warnings and a range of options for Additional (depending upon use) warnings (Google 'candle warning labels' images).
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:49 AM »
I agree with Brian on this. I won't sell T light holders unless there is a liner apart from the little aluminium one they come with. I have seen ones made from a soft wood that had charred as the t light burnt low from the eat of the aluminium sleeve. Also avoid the brass candle inserts that don't have a bottom. I have a pair of yew candlesticks I made using them in years ago and the wood has seriously charred. You can get the glass inserts really cheaply so there is no excuse.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:38 PM »
Hi there guys....I was playing 'Devil's Advocate' in an attempt to get everyone to pool the info on this...one of the first things that I bought when I started stocking up with inserts etc for my wood-turning, was the glass liners, and 'Yep', I bought Ikea ones (but not from Ikea).

Bryan....the info on the warning labels is going to be very interesting...thanks.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »
A high rise flat fire in Stevenage a year or so ago was put down to tee lights burning with no protection except their ali container on top of a television. Result .... 2 deaths.Is there any more to say?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 07:18:48 PM »
Hi again....
BrianH ... that's chilling information - food for thought certainly.

Dewi...a couple of excellent links there. I'm sure they'll be very useful in future.

Les