Author Topic: Clubs  (Read 2099 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Clubs
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:26 PM »
Hi All

Could someone tell me the differences between clubs I live between two one is listed under clubs and the other is an associated club. As some of you know I'm fairly new and I think that it would be good to go along and meet a few people and see what I can learn.

Thanks

Ed

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
Re: Clubs
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 10:40:28 PM »
Hi Ed,

A club or branch means all of its members are AWGB members, an associated club does not have 100% AWGB membership. Makes no difference to the individual member but branch clubs get other benefits above that of an associated club.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:55:53 AM »
Thanks Martin

I thought there must be something as they are listed differently on the website.

All the best

Ed

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 10:23:18 PM »
Ed,

The main difference between affiliated and associated is that if your club is associated, you get to make a value choice as to whether to join the AWGB or not.

With an affiliated club, you don't have that choice.

My club is associated but we promote AWGB membership and indeed some of our members have retained their membership and new members have joined the AWGB.

You need to weigh up the benefits to you and use that to decide which club to go towards. Either way, do go along to a club, they are a mine of information, good demonstrations, good company and lots of woodturning talk. If you're in the Surrey area, you would be most welcome at our club.

David

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 10:35:12 PM »
Thanks David

I've joined the AWGB, I think that I'll take a trip to both clubs that are near me and see whats what, I think that joining in with a club will have many benefits and meeting like minded people is always a plus.

Regards

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
hello Ed , glad you joined the AWGB. I too think it is beneficial that you join a club of one sort or another as the simple fact of being around other woodturners will aid your development as a turner and also from my experience turners are a friendly bunch of people to be around.
    I sometimes wish club nights didn't finish so soon and I am sure once you get established in your local club you will get to feel the same way too.
Regards
John BHT

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 10:15:56 AM »
Hello Ed

There is nothing to stop you joining both clubs which can be beneficial if they offer different things. This is what I did.

One was a small affiliated club and because it was small, it was easy to get to know all the members. I learned a lot pretty quickly from the demonstrations and from talking to other members. As an affiliated club, we get a lot out of the AWGB including grants to help with our youth days and all day hands-on master classes by well known professionals.

The other was a much bigger associate club with a permanent workshop set up. They were able to hold four teaching nights a week. Attending one of these each week allowed me to advance much quicker than I would have been able to achieve on my own.

Even though I was a complete novice, I entered the competitions of both clubs from the very beginning. As well as driving me to try new techniques, the feedback I received was invaluable.
Philip from sunny St Issey