Author Topic: Walnut & Apple  (Read 2766 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Walnut & Apple
« on: February 07, 2014, 02:02:52 PM »
Not a cake I'm afraid LOL
This is a piece of apple with a purple heart collar and finial. The cross piece is three pieces of split bamboo which at the moment are loose as I haven't made my mind up whether to have them all together or as in the 1st photo. The base is walnut and is IMHO too thick so I will be making another one that is thinner. The vessel body is 4.5" diameter and 3" tall. C&C welcome.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Walnut & Apple
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
Hi Pete, not sure on the finial but I think the base is OK but I would cut a shallow groove in it 1/3 of the width in the middle and gold leaf it(the groove) and then possibly distress the gold.
Otherwise I like it.
regards
John BHT

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 08:37:00 PM »
Pete,

The shape of the vessel is not to my taste, but the wood is wonderfully patterned so I can see why you've allowed so much of it to be revealed.

I do like the  shape of the finial, but not sure about the bamboo, what I saw was a slightly sagging brush out of each side. Difficult to explain, something like shaving-brush bristles stiff but long enough for gravity to just effect - no idea why I see this but thought I'd share.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 10:14:23 PM »
Hi Pete....I'm intrigued by this one. Was it a conscious decision to have the grain of the walnut running slightly off-true to the vertical? Despite my love of wabi sabi wood, I just know that I would have got that grain either perfectly vertical, or horizontal....not because some sort of autistic gene causes me to do that, but because the formal grain of the walnut serves as the perfect foil to the random grain of the apple, so I would have wanted to stress the relationship by making the walnut element even more formal, by getting the grain running vertically.

Despite the waffle, I still like it (very much)
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
The bamboo is three pieces that at the moment are loose. Not sure whether to fix them together or leave splayed at the moment. The base is in the process of being changed for a thinner one as I feel this one is too thick. The new one is about a third smaller and playing me up with the end grain in it. I hadn't noticed the grain direction Gwyntog, can't stop seeing it now, It's just the way I cut it when I made the ring. Not paying attention  ::)

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »
Hi Pete, nice piece of apple, stunning feature/grain, I'd wonder if the abrupt change in the curve throws the form.  

And could be as you've said, the base is over thick, it could do with reducing, an maybe a small detail, cove/bead the top corners, lower as well ... then we can at times envisage past forms we've seen or done before, then that's part of development and the whole piece has potential to evolve.

The shorter bamboo works and to have them together, lower picture.

Funny.. the more I look, the more it grows on one as a piece ..  ;D ..

Now.. if you'd said Pecan and Maple ..  ;) ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''