Author Topic: Advice on wood finishing part 2  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
Advice on wood finishing part 2
« on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:22 AM »
Last week several wood turners shared their 'trade secrets' with me  (I teach design) on  finishing troublesome end grain. I have taken a picture of the finished result- it was amazing in my opinion.
I now have a lovely problem that I don't understand. I followed Nick's advice to the letter and also sealed the reverse side with cellulose sealer as dr4fly suggested.  After another four coats (with thinned cellulose) following Nick's instructions the pores were totally sealed (must have applied at least 20 coats in total).  I used Liberon paste wax as a lubricant and nyweb  pads to apply it.
This left me with a silky wax finish (see pic).
My student wanted a glossy finish - so one more stage left.  I sprayed the waxed finish with a melamine gloss lacquer, the lacquer formed an even flat coat on the surface- no pitting! A beautiful, even glossy finish (although not my preference).
I don't get it!! I thought it wouldn't work. How can you spray a lacquer directly onto a surface that has been wet sanded and buffed with a paste wax? I expected the lacquer not to stick or to puddle on the surface but I was so wrong. Can any one shed some light on this?
Finally, my student still has work to do- I have not completed all her finishing-I want her to go on a similar journey-but at least I know there is a happy ending!
           Thank you.    Haggy

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Advice on wood finishing part 2
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 07:46:23 AM »
Really pleased for you...the hard work paid off!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 08:08:40 AM »
I've got to stand  back from this one, I've applied melamine over sealer but never a waxed finish. I can see it setting but eventually failing and peeling off. I hope I'm wrong for your students sake.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Perhaps the solvent in the melamine finish acts as a solvent for the wax so the result is a combined wax/melamine finish.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »
Maybe Paul - I will look into it.  I will test the the gloss finish to see how well it sticks.
Have you tried doing similar Nick?  You mention spraying with gloss which gave me the idea- but I didn't expect it to work!  I achieved a better finish with melamine spray than buffing with carnauba, this went a little patchy.
      Haggy

Nick Arnull

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 05:59:20 PM »
Haggy,
Paul Hannaby got it in one.
 The solvent in the lacquer has dissolved those in the wax but more importantly I did suggest cutting the wax back this removes the excess product creating micro scratches for the lacquer to key to .Well that is my understanding. Glad it has worked out for you and your student.
Nick Arnull. RPT.

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:59:17 AM »
Thanks Nick for confirming Paul's theory.  I have learnt a lot a lot during this school half term.
Have you seen the event on the 21 and 22 nd March at Axminster tools at the Nuneaton branch?
10 well known wood turners will be there demonstrating-I am thinking of visiting with some of my sixth formers on Friday. I guess that could put a few of you off!!
        Regards. Haggy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Haggy,

read the Aims of the AWBG from the main website, Aim 4 is;

4.To encourage and participate in the development of training standards and educational facilities for turning.

So you taking any number of Sithformers or other children would be encouraged.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 02:30:19 PM »

I'm sure Axminster would be equally pleased with the attendance, it's all for furthering the students technological advancements and likely to get a Turner or more in the future out of the event.

I'll think about going Saturday now ... ;D ..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 06:55:09 PM »
Thanks Nick for confirming Paul's theory.  I have learnt a lot a lot during this school half term.
Have you seen the event on the 21 and 22 nd March at Axminster tools at the Nuneaton branch?
10 well known wood turners will be there demonstrating-I am thinking of visiting with some of my sixth formers on Friday. I guess that could put a few of you off!!
        Regards. Haggy
Hi Haggy, Thanks for posting the picture of the re-finished wood. Looks much better, but I too, am puzzled by the result of putting melamine on top of a wax finish. Just proves there is always something new to learn.
If work allows, I will be going to the Axminster event on Friday, and might be able to say 'Hello' in person. And I echo earlier posts, we all need to support youngsters interests in practical skills, so the more students there, the better.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline Haggy

• bronze
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:29:30 PM »
It would be great to shake your hand Paul and introduce you to some of my budding wood turners.  They are really enthusiastic kids - I have asked them to bring the pens they have turned in case they meet any one from the AWGB. We do a pen project every year with the kids and they love it.  I read articles from the AWGB and they listen with interest.  We will be there Friday afternoon, I will be wearing our school badge ( they call it 'safe guarding' and we have to wear them).  I am the same height as Phil Irons so I have a job to hide.
Sian's project was finished today, she has achieved a lovely finish on her work, made possible by members sharing good practice.  I still find it hard to believe you can spray a melamine gloss lacquer onto a paste wax/ cellulose finish! 
      Regards.  Haggy