Author Topic: Hardening wood  (Read 3406 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Hardening wood
« on: March 01, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
I've got a few lumps on the go that have the occasional soft spot in them, where the spalting has gone a little too far, as well as sreas of a few square inches where the wood is quite wormy and tearing out when I cut them. I've never used products like Ronseal Wood Hardener, so would appreciate any help before I buy some in. Any guidance on how to use it and how effective it is would be very helpful.

Thanks...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Hardening wood
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 04:01:02 PM »
I find the sanding sealer can work on softer wood and failing that, iff it is really worth saving CA glue, the thinnest you can get works well. Coat with SS first if using the glue as it darkens the wood.  Never used the proprietary hardeners myself so can't speak for them.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 05:43:21 PM »
I use Danish oil, Give the wood a very good soak, leaves for 48hours to really dry. I've used this method on several spalted woods, It usually works OK.
John
John English

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 06:13:02 PM »
I have just completed a piece of spalted beech and had a little soft spot in it. this piece came from a larger lump of wood which I have turned a few bowls from it

Like previous posters I have used Sander sealer but only after I have got the shape very near what I want then apply a good coat all over paying special attention to the soft spot next give you tools a good sharpening and gentle cuts to finish this normally leaves a great surface to sand and finish.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:26:50 PM »
Les regarding the wood hardener, I use when I have particularly soft wood for pen blanks( I tend not to make many pens) My good lady let me have an old Kilner jar. I dropped the blanks in and filled it with hardener until the wood was covered. Watch it bubble! after a couple of days the bubbling will have stopped so remove the wood and leave it to dry. You will find that once dry it is remarkably hard and should turn very well indeed. Wear a mask 'cos its horrible stuff.
Polish as normal.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 08:39:51 PM »
Les regarding the wood hardener, I use when I have particularly soft wood for pen blanks( I tend not to make many pens) My good lady let me have an old Kilner jar. I dropped the blanks in and filled it with hardener until the wood was covered. Watch it bubble! after a couple of days the bubbling will have stopped so remove the wood and leave it to dry. You will find that once dry it is remarkably hard and should turn very well indeed. Wear a mask 'cos its horrible stuff.
Polish as normal.

Sounds like a good system for small components, but the bowl I turning now is 10"x4". Mooks like it'll be a good wash with sealer.

Les

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 11:47:12 PM »
I've painted Ronseal wood harder on spalted beech (at lest I think that it's beech) left it for a few days to dry and it seem to work great.

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 06:20:20 AM »
I've painted Ronseal wood harder on spalted beech (at lest I think that it's beech) left it for a few days to dry and it seem to work great.

Ed
Cheers Ed...good to hear that it worked for you. I reckon that I need to get soem and just give it a go.

By the way; yep it's beech, and quite  a nice piece at that. Beech can be a bit bland but I love the figured, spalted stuff.

Les