Author Topic: Interesting survey?  (Read 3505 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Interesting survey?
« on: March 13, 2014, 09:54:10 AM »
A survey I picked up from the Heritage Crafts Association is interesting in that of the people on the survey, only two are what they call practitioners. Wonder what others think about it?

survey here

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Interesting survey?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Funny you should be looking at that Pete, I also saw it but then went on to view this:-

www.tate.org.uk/context-comment/blogs/tate-debate-when-craft-art

Regards
John

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 11:00:40 AM »
Pete,

many answers spring to my lips (keyboard). My first is that the question is wrong, it should be:

• What is 'a' Craft, or
  • What is 'it to' Craft?

These are more definitive questions.

The other problem is as you noted, only two of the people answering consider themselves as Practitioners, although there is no clue as to what ‘Craft’ they practice. The remainder of people quoted in more of an ‘observer’ position. They look down on what has been ‘made’ and then cast their judgement, I’m sure without having proved their own ability in the first instance, so should we listen to them.

However from a personal point of view, the act of Craft is ‘to make’, it does not matter what is made. At work I craft my reports and even my e-mails, to ensure that what they say is what I mean, and is understandable by the reader – something I do wish more people would do (Bryan, get off your soapbox!)
I do agree that the meaning of the word ‘Craft’ has changed many times though. For me the best description given in the article for craft in it’s current concept is by;

Caroline Roux (Acting editor, Crafts magazine)
'Craft has never been more important than now, as an antidote to mass production and as a practice in which the very time is takes to produce an object becomes part of its value in a world that often moves too fast.'

That is something that anyone can do, to a high level or otherwise, as a method of relaxation and personal satisfaction.

To me woodturning is my ‘Wa’, a Japanese concept of harmony, if you spend all day using your brain, relax in the evening using your hands (and vice versa). I’m as happy production turning items as I am making utility items or display items, all relax me, all is craft, some is art. Therein lies the next question ‘Is Craft Art or where is the dividing line?’

Art is in the eye of the beholder, I don’t like all art I see, but that does not detract from the creative act of ‘making’ it. Then again, that does not make all craft ‘Art’ (or does it?). Consider a 6 year olds painting Vs Picasso (who tried to see like a child), the dinner lovingly prepared by your wife or the artistically arranged meal in an expensive restaurant. What about the sonnets of Shakespeare to the pulp fiction of Mills & Boon?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 04:54:10 PM »
Ah Bryan, methinks you are raking over old coals. I remember watching a friend of mine climbing at Sea walls in Bristol and he was making it look so easy that someone else commented that it was like watching vertical ballet. I don't think ballet dancers would be too impressed with the analogy but we all knew what he meant. Incidentally the chap we were talking about was an artist in his own right and had exhibited at the Royal Academy ( I inherited 4 of his paintings which now hang proudly on the stairs).
         Could a brick layer be called an artist? when you think that all the bricks are the same space apart whichever plane they are laid in and they can form them into patterns either individual or repetitious surely that is more than a craftsmen at work?

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 07:44:17 PM »
John,

have you seen some of the pictures they make with Lego bricks?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 07:57:51 PM »
We were refused a Lottery Grant on the grounds woodturning was an art form and referred on to the arts council!
Ron

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 09:41:04 PM »

Could a brick layer be called an artist? when you think that all the bricks are the same space apart whichever plane they are laid in and they can form them into patterns either individual or repetitious surely that is more than a craftsmen at work?

Reckon so

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 10:21:36 PM »
I rest my case.