Author Topic: Ring Bowls  (Read 3422 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Ring Bowls
« on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
Had some small pieces of wood rather than throw them out made three ring dishes two are Oak and the third from a crouch of a piece from a hedge that was ripped out

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Ring Bowls
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 09:11:47 PM »

Hi Derek, you've 3 very functional bowls there, nice little forms and excellent finish, will serve the purpose well.

You've not given any size, yet if there for rings can't be to big .. Woody seeing these would say .. 'you'd life bowls' small change holders, set of keys.

The middle one has the rustic charm. Well done.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 09:45:43 PM »

Hi Derek, you've 3 very functional bowls there, nice little forms and excellent finish, will serve the purpose well.

You've not given any size, yet if there for rings can't be to big .. Woody seeing these would say .. 'you'd life bowls' small change holders, set of keys.

Cheers  David

Thank you the wife likes the middle one. The two on the left are 4" and the one on the right is 4 1/2"

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

Cheers  David

Thank you the wife likes the middle one. The two on the left are 4" and the one on the right is 4 1/2"

Cheers for the size, definitely sweet little bowls, and if the wife likes them.. a winner as well.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 01:09:13 AM »
always good to see people using the little bits rather than letting them go on the fire. i've had some half logs of cherry recently and a couple of bits were anything but semicircular plus a bit of decay to loose so i put them on the rip saw and cut 4 blanks out of them and there are still room for a few squares.

i've done that with robinia, cherry laurel and brown oak that were cut as bowl blanks but had already started to split. got loads more out of them than i expected, plus they are quarter sawn...

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 08:16:57 AM »
Nice set of bowls and I agree with your wife's choice the centre one stands out for me.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 08:21:16 PM »
Derek,

nice recovery from scraps. Ring bowls, did you think about adding a finial up from the centre for the rings to sit over?

Yep, I vote for the centre one as well, natural texture (Wabi sabi) seems to be the order of the day around here lately.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:30:30 PM »
Thank you all

Derek,

nice recovery from scraps. Ring bowls, did you think about adding a finial up from the centre for the rings to sit over?

Yep, I vote for the centre one as well, natural texture (Wabi sabi) seems to be the order of the day around here lately.

Not so much Wabi Sabi as Tighti fisti :D :D.

Seriously I like some of the natural bits in the wood and like to show them if I get the chance. The more I turn the more I enjoy the different styles of turning

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 11:36:19 AM »
its surprising what you can make from offcuts and small pieces of wood,lovely little bowls,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world