Author Topic: Small lidded bowl  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Small lidded bowl
« on: March 15, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »
This is a small bowl made from cherry wood. The lid is black walnut and the pommel a wood I really do not know. It is tropical, very heavy, dense and uniformly brown, checks heavily and when I turned it had a rather unpleasant odor. If anybody have an idea...
I imagined the bowl could  be used to put some necklace or something similar so I added a mirror to the lid which is a little too heavy but as usual when I realized it it was too late.
Thanks for watching and as usual comments and mainly critiques are welcome!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Small lidded bowl
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »
that looks very elegant is all the decoration burnt in?

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 11:10:57 AM »
Hi sevilla, and well done for tackling a technically demanding piece of turning. No one could fault your willingness to learn to turn something different and you're achieving a good standard of finish.

If I might pass a little constructive criticism; start thinking more about proportion and the overall shape of composite pieces like this. In this instance, the lid seems to stand too proud of the bowl, which can spoil the flow of the curve, so a solution would have been to have thinned the lid considerably, or even to have inset it into a recess in the top of the bowl. Also, the knob, which is almost a finial, looks a little too heavy.....but these are mall points. The important thing is that you keep at it.....your skills are fine, just develop the aesthetics.

Well done...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:03:28 PM »
Thank you both.
Yes, there is pyrography there.
The lid is the main problem, I mentioned in my post. Too big, too proud you said. I totally agree.
Thanks for the comment. They are always very useful.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Sevilla,

I don't have a problem with the size of the lid, and even the know balances on it well.

As for the base decoration, I recognise it from another of your postings, looks like you've created your trademark already.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!