Author Topic: Still life  (Read 2669 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Still life
« on: March 18, 2014, 03:06:27 PM »
Here is a platter and pears I recently completed. I like to call these compositions still life or natura morta.
The platter is the first attempt at using my new outboard attachment on my Vicmarc and for this is not too large, only ten inches. The pears are all lidded boxes and hollowed.
Cc welcomed.
PS the second photo represent a true natura morta and is not mine but I like it!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Still life
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:32 PM »

Hi Sevilla, these pieces, with the accompanying picture is inspirational, inspiration can be found everywhere and in everything, it's a case of tapping into and creating the form, which you've done so well here, not just pears, but boxes at that.. like them very much.

It is a school we all follow, as it is to copy a form, usually from the Natura Morte... it's something which has been made/done before... yet, we place our twist on that form.

Now for the platter ... be bold .. go big .. test that outboard.. but at your own pace.. just how big will the Vicmarc let you go.

Cheers for sharing your inspiration.    David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 11:11:47 PM »
Sevilla,

Pears have a shape in the minds eye which you've managed to capture and reproduce in these turnings. And then you say they are all hollowed as boxes, a damn fine effort there.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 11:17:33 PM »
Nice work, I like the idea and great turning, have you signed each piece :)

Ed

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:39:10 PM »
Hello and thank you for your nice comments. I appreciate ANY comment, they are always helpful.
Yes, pears and unusual lidded boxes have been one of my early turning experiment. They are fun, nice looking and take little wood. By the way, the "real" natura morta are painting by Giorgio Morandi
Regards

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 12:23:31 AM »

Seville, nice to see the Artist as Giorgio Morandi, who specialized in still life, and the works noted for their tonal subtlety in depicting apparently simple subjects, which were any thing from vases, bottles, bowls, flowers, landscapes and fruit as you use here.  ...... A lot of thought went into the composition as to just what matched for color, contrast and form.

Like the thought pattern.    David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 12:57:02 AM »
Giorgio Morandi, simple forms, simple colors, a lot of mystery in those compositions.