Author Topic: Wood In Resin problems  (Read 6840 times)

slackbladder

Wood In Resin problems
« on: March 21, 2014, 07:47:22 PM »
Hi
 I am new to this so bare with me
I have been experimenting with different resins to set wood in.I have found that polyester resin shrinks and will not adhere to timber,Polyurethane resin is badly affected by moisture in the timber and even makes the Alumilite polyurethane resin froth
 That only leaves Epoxy resin.Has anybody had any experience with Epoxy resins as the only ones I can find seem to be in the States
 I am trying to make the hybrid type of pen blanks etc and fill in voids in wood that would fall apart if turned.Seen lots of you tube clips and they all use alumilite which even when I get it to work it is very soft and hard to get a finish on
 Help

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Wood In Resin problems
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 08:33:32 PM »
Slack,

don't know if you pocked upon this posting in 'Tool tips & reviews' It's a primer by an Aussie turner of the different substances/resins  that can be used.

http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2062.0.html
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

slackbladder

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 10:19:33 PM »
Terrific video and really helpful.Trouble id you can't buy that in the uk .Does anyone know of an equivalant

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
Hi

Try this stuff http://www.axminster.co.uk/z-poxy-epoxy-resin I've used it mixed with the brass power and turn a large platter and it seem's to have worked fine

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 06:13:29 AM »
Hi Ed...do you use the 5-minute, or 30-minute type, and how do you commence abrading the surface back? I know that some turners have all sorts of tricks to remove the excess brass/epoxy mixture from the timber's surface before finer sanding can take place.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

slackbladder

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
Has anybody tried the ABL Stevens clear rigid epoxy,i don't know how similar it is to Solid Cast 606

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 11:11:30 AM »
Hi Les

I use the 5 minute stuff but leave it for 24 hours and then return the item before sanding, the gouge cuts through it just like the wood, you need to make sure it's hard other wise it still turns but it stick to the gouge,

Here I have added brass to the resin to fill a crack playing around the platter is 600mm diameter so the crack that been filled and turned is about 250mm and went all the way through.

Hope it helps

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
Cheers Ed, thanks for that.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.