Author Topic: Totem Pole  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Totem Pole
« on: March 28, 2014, 06:12:53 PM »
A neibour gave me a tree trunk last autumn,and asked if I`d make them a Japanese style totem pole,was putting it off,and was getting nagged about it,so finally made a start about 2 1/2 weeks ago,had a mishap with the skew,(see other topic about that),so this week had another go at it after looking up Japanese totm poles on Google,was surprised to find lots of pics of them all brightly coloured.This is my interpretation of one of these,neibour is over the moon with it.I cut the trunk into 35" sections,as I have a jet 3520B lathe,but it isn`t 35" between centres with the live talstockthingy(names gone completely out of my head,must be going senile),with the headstock and tailstock at the stops,theres about 32-33" between centres,so had to drill holes in the ends of the wood till it fitted (had to remove tailstock put wood in then put it back again),there were 4 35" sections and a 24"(or so) at the pinnacle,about 2"(or so) was lost at each joint,the base piece was plain turned with a couple of rings at the top,the next was turned with a couple of rings at the bottom then a fish a bear and an owl,next section was a Japanese type figure,he lost his arms as that was where the dig in was,next was a smaller Japanese figure with an eagle above,the top section is just sort of flagpoly,heres the pic,cheers,Eric.

welcome to my woodturning world

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Totem Pole
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:00:13 PM »

Erikku, Heap big pole .. Ke-mo sah-bee ... nice work .. ok should be Japanese .. KE-MOのSAH-蜂 ... is it's backwards.

Someone looks heap happy.

Deividdo
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:15:27 PM »
I can honestly say that |I've not turned one of those....neither have I ever seen one!
He certainly looks like one happy customer

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Until I looked a second time (to see the joints) I was thinking you'd got a ship output shaft lathe.

They are the only lathes I know long enough to turn something this long.

Nice carving as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:25:22 PM »
I think I can see some tool marks on the bottom section Eric and there is a definite sense of excuse re: the arms being missing.

Just kidding, that looks really good fun to make and no wonder your neighbour is chuffed. 良い仕事 才子

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Until I looked a second time (to see the joints) I was thinking you'd got a ship output shaft lathe.

They are the only lathes I know long enough to turn something this long.

Nice carving as well.

My friends Wadkin RS has a moveable bed and in theory can turn up to 20' not including the extension bed that he has but can't add.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:53:25 PM »

That must have been fun to make Eric.

Have   You   Worn    Thee     Skew      Chisel    Out.    ;D   ;D 

Tony and Di                                                       
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:18:38 AM »
that happy chappy in the pic is me by the way chaps,not the neibour,thanks for the comments though,didn`t wear out the skew,had to sharpen it a few times though ;D ;D.I thought about adding external turned arms,but in the end,thought it didn`t really matter in the grand scheme of things.I`d love to have a 20 ft bed,but it wouldn`t fit in the workshop as its only 12 ft across the wide width.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 10:29:11 AM by Eric Harvey »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
Hi Eric,
            this really epitomizes what woodturning is all about for the hobby turners (and others) in the country at the moment.............FUN!!
 It is a bit of fun and I daresay it was the same turning it.
Well done, different.
BTW how's the finger healing?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 11:33:54 AM »
It was great fun doing something so different,the carving is a bit rough,just did quick sketches at each stage then winged as I went along.Left side of the finger is numb at the tip,right side still scabby and sore,picked off a lump of dead flesh the other night,so still a bit scabby and numb there to.cheers,

Eric.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »
Eric,

it sounds like you are healing well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2014, 01:59:52 PM »
That pole looks like it was fun turning and carving Eric great job. Silly question did you make the tenon on each piece face up or down

Paul Disdle

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2014, 09:20:03 PM »
I shall enjoy seeing that on the display table on Friday :)

Paul

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
Derek,it depended on the length of the section,I cut them to roughly the quoted length in the name of the lathe 35,but it isn`t,its only 31 1/2" between centres,so some are sockets both end,some are socket and tennon,depending where the section is,but I cut a downward slope at the top of each section so water well run off rather than into the joint.

Paul,can`t make it Friday night,wife booked a quiz night that I can`t get out of as we`re going with friends,also the totem pole is just over 4 m long now its glued up,so won`t fit in car now and I don`t fancy driving with it stuck out of the passenger window,in case I collect a few pedestrians  on the end ;D ;D.