Author Topic: Little & Large  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Little & Large
« on: April 15, 2014, 06:41:26 PM »
Don't worry, it's not those irritating entertainers from yester-year.....it's a pair of birch burrs.

'Large' lives up to its name. The burr has grown off one side of a trunk and has wrapped around it, almost completely. The trunk is about 9" diameter and where the burr has pressed against it as it grows, it is peeling the bark off the trunk and forcing it out ward.

The burr is 26" wide at its widest point, and is 6ft in circumference.

'Little', on the other hand, is much less impressive...

So here's the point of this post. Does anyone out there have any experience of birch burrs? I know the timber well and have to say that it's a bit bland, but I've seen pictures of a birch burr that had amazing character. I did think of working the small burr, just to see what it's like and in the hope that it gives me some idea of what to expect with 'Large'.

Any advice will be appreciated....Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Little & Large
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:01 PM »
Les,

experience no. But methinks you're gonna have fun with that lot.

You might ask George Watkins if he'd like your offcuts - having seen what he's done with Horse Chestnut burr lately.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 09:42:23 PM »
Birch burr in my experience is pretty fabulous stuff, a very tight/ close grained pattern, and if left with some natural bark edge , contrasts nicely with the relatively pale wood . The small burr ( canker ) is something of nothing in comparison to the big one , I would sit for ages looking at that from different angles trying to decide the optimum way to get the best out of it , with minimal waste , but not compromising on the final form just to get the biggest I can out of it . Most of my work is hollow vessels and i can visualise a nice large one here with voids , bark inclusions , and possibly a natural edge opening , combined with the burr figure ,could be pretty spectacular . I would turn it whilst still green , as birch will soon start to crack and the bark could begin to separate as well especially in this nice weather . What ever you decide to do with it I am sure it will look great and every one will have their own opinions on what is best for it , and I am sure you will post the results !!!( incidentally how much would forum members value a lump such as this   ?)  
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:44:29 PM by TWiG »

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
incidentally how much would forum members value a lump such as this   ?  

Well, I'll come clean....I paid £50 for it.

So let's hear it...was I robbed, or did the boy do well?

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 12:12:59 AM »
Nice worth every penny

Ed

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 07:40:07 AM »
/quote]

Well, I'll come clean....I paid £50 for it.

So let's hear it...was I robbed, or did the boy do well?

Les
[/quote]     That seems about right , if you and the seller are both happy then thats good , if you offered him very little he would not come back again with other bits would he ?  Now the challenge is to make things with it that sell at a premium to cover costs !

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »
looks like a good deal to me,can`t wait to see the end results when you`ve turned both bits,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world