Author Topic: Near Miss  (Read 2687 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Near Miss
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:13:11 AM »
Last night I had a Very Lucky Escape.

My gouges are mounted on a shelf behind the lathe within easy reach, I reached over while the lathe was spinning got a gouge and within a split second the tip must have touched the spinning piece BANG the gouge hit the ceiling and landed beside me. I must of had my Fairy Godmother sitting on my shoulder 12" closer on landing and it would have hit me.

Tonight the gouges will be mounted under the lathe and the lathe will be stopped before I reach acrossed for anything.

Sometimes you have to learn the had way, so be-where it's as quick as that.

The good news is there was no damaged to the piece I was turning :)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Near Miss
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:36 AM »
Last night I had a Very Lucky Escape.

My gouges are mounted on a shelf behind the lathe within easy reach, I reached over while the lathe was spinning got a gouge and within a split second the tip must have touched the spinning piece BANG the gouge hit the ceiling and landed beside me. I must of had my Fairy Godmother sitting on my shoulder 12" closer on landing and it would have hit me.

Tonight the gouges will be mounted under the lathe and the lathe will be stopped before I reach acrossed for anything.

Sometimes you have to learn the had way, so be-where it's as quick as that.

The good news is there was no damaged to the piece I was turning :)

Hi Ed....good to hear that the damage was limited to your pride, and thanks for being brave enough to 'fess-up'. I guess that all of us, despite being aware of the safety needs and implications in our workshops, live in a real world where limitations of time and space mean that we take decisions to accept the less-than-perfect. We risk-assess, and settle for the best-fit scenario!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:47 AM »
Glad you are safe Ed, could have been nasty. Never a good idea to reach over a spinning lathe. Mine is on a big bench so I can keep any tools I am using under the bed away from the spinning parts. All my tools are housed on the wall away from the lathe so I have to move way from it to get any others I need.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 09:13:18 AM »
happens so quickly when something goes amiss doeasn`t it,glad it missed you,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
No comment from the H&S department apart from.............. ::) ::) ::) glad you are OK.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 08:02:30 PM »
Sounds like it was a sharp lesson that was learnt well but thankfully without injury.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:33:11 PM »
Glad you are ok. These things happen so suddenly and quickly. I made a point some years ago to house my tools on a trolley that can live beneath the lathe when not in use but can sit beside me when I need them. This was to avoid reaching over the lathe to get tools from the wall behind. Malcolm.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 11:34:53 PM »
My gouges are now mounted under the lathe away from anything spinning :)