Author Topic: Bread and butter work  (Read 3140 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Bread and butter work
« on: May 01, 2014, 05:07:48 PM »
We get a lot of arty work on here as that is what most of us prefer but I thought it'd be good to be a bit different and post some basic stuff I have been doing this week for a couple of markets and shows coming up. I do these in batches of about 1/2 dozen at a time mainly from left over pieces I have. Here's a few.

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Bread and butter work
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 05:09:07 PM »
and.........

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 10:18:16 PM »
I like the idea of the Mortar and Pestle being made from scraps - another thing that can be made from the more easily obtainable boards by laminating them.

Good alternative thinking Pete, Nice work too.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »

Ear, I like the stands, classic Rowley, make these myself, I'm wondering as too how much demand there are for this design, most use stud ear rings these days, could be wrong.

Yew done well with the vases, lovely forms. Nice design and texture you're grinding out with the mortars and pestles.

Cheers for sharing,   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
I like the bread and butter it look's like you've put a bit of jam on it Smart :)
Ed

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:20:26 PM »

A nice selection Pete.  Like the Mortar and Pestle its a bit different from the norm.
          Tony and Di 
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Roderick Evans

• bronze
  • roderickevanswoodturning.blogspot.com
    • Roderick Evans Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 10:12:03 PM »
Hi Pete
Nice work for the markets especially since you've used "left overs".
My favourites are the yew vases ;), I've turned a couple of these recently and hope they sell tomorrow.
Rod
To be born Welsh is to be born privileged. Not with a silver spoon in your mouth, but music in your blood and poetry in your soul.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
Thanks guys. It's always a bit of a gamble what will sell so do you just fill the stall with a little bit of everything? Anyone who has a magic formula please let me know LOL.

Pete

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »
Pete,

you ask a good question, there is no magic formula I've discovered but I think it's fair to say it's the ladies that do they buying. So I make decorative items, things that can be displayed, lots of different coloured items (to try and fit in with any room colour scheme), they don't normally have a use except look good. Think of my coloured vases etc., I've posted pics of previously.

I then fit in the 'pick-me-up items, wooden fruit, some pendants, small boxes and mushrooms (why the sell I've no idea) but I try to make them from garden shrub trimmings. The seem to like to know they are something different, Burberis, Lilac, Buddlia, Mahonia etc., anything strange.

Another thing I've started (because the wife got into it) is needlecraft and lacework tools. Lace bobbins in real special woods, tatting hooks, pin-pushes, very large buttons, orifice hooks, craft irons etc., etc., they are small, so take up little room but can command a price well above their production cost.

Because I make these I get asked to make commission needlecraft items, today I picked up orders for a French Knitting Frame (like the little dolly thing but a lot more pins) and a Fair Isle knitting frame (to keep all the different colored wools separate).

One thing I don't carry is bowls, well maybe the occasional one, knitting bowls go well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!