Author Topic: That's another order fulfilled.  (Read 2884 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
That's another order fulfilled.
« on: May 27, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
So there I was, 4 days ago, with a list as long as my arm, of things that had to be done before we head off north, when the phone rang. It went something like this.....'We're opening a shop near you in 2 days time, can you supply us with about a dozen pieces that we can display and sell? Something big would be nice!'
Needless to say, it was tight, but I managed to get a few things together.

I'd had a big board of straight-grained elm that was holding about 20% moisture, so I'd roughed out a platter a few months ago.....so that soon got finished, it's about 16" diameter, finished with Danish Oil and microscrystaline wax

Then there's a 12"diam x 4.5" deep bowl from a lovely piece of silver birch (bet Bryan will like it!), finished the same as the platter...

and finally, an assortment of smaller bowls and candlesticks...

They were happy people!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: That's another order fulfilled.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:36 PM »
You seem to have a good fairy there at Bala Les LOL. The sort of work that you are producing I am not surprised though. When are you going to go full time?

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:05:17 PM »
.....When are you going to go full time?

Probably never....I'm having too much fun just going to the workshop and turning whatever I want to turn (generally). For me, having to work at producing stuff to order would spoil it, so I'll stick to the main job until I retire in about 3 years time. Anyway....the job has 13 weeks paid annual leave, so I'd be daft to give it up!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 11:08:46 PM »
Les,

yes I like it, infact the only one I'm not sure about is the little round bowl on the bottom left hand corner, but that is probably just the way the photo makes it look.

I see you've been making more of the candlesticks, and really got the shapes to work well, very modern looking but with a classical clean lined wooden shape.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:34 PM »

Les, That's some beautiful pieces, I can see yonder in the Elm, the ocean from a sallow beach and expanse of the horizon afar off.

I can only hope that my current silver birch will yield as well as this piece, the rest pass muster, if but a little short on number .. 11 at best should you count each candle stick ...    ;D .. you've done well in the time .. or your arms are shorter than you'd care to mention, when it comes to that list..   ;) ..

My own (SWMBO) list is   :o ..

Go an enjoy a well earned break, going to miss your regular contributions with you away.... don't forget the weight limit on the camper when it comes to the chance of all that timber or the dogs will have to run behind... remember Bryan, should it come to an unexpected roadside recovery... so take care.

You'll be already to far North for a stopover for Tea..   :( ..  Cheers  Dewi
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:06 AM »
Great work Les

Hope you have a good break and don't forget your passport :)

Ed

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:23 AM »
Les,

yes I like it, infact the only one I'm not sure about is the little round bowl on the bottom left hand corner, but that is probably just the way the photo makes it look.

I see you've been making more of the candlesticks, and really got the shapes to work well, very modern looking but with a classical clean lined wooden shape.

Absolutely agree with you on all points. A lot of turning done on time and well done to boot.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:46:06 AM »
I really like the look of the candlesticks. Simple classical lines they could almost double as goblets.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?