Author Topic: Chuck Jaws  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
Chuck Jaws
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:50:28 PM »
Hi, been looking at a new chuck for the new lathe when it arrives, was thinking of the Axminster Evolution, partly as I have a credit for nearly the full price of the chuck with Axminster :). But I only see three sets of jaws available for it http://www.axminster.co.uk/woodturning-crafts/woodturning/woodturners-chucks/jaws-for-axminster-114mm-chucks. Am I reading this wrong, will the chuck take different jaws?

Cheers
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Chuck Jaws
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

Hi John, I was sure I'd read as too the new chuck would take existing jaws from the write ups, had to really, a quick check on the website and .... The Evolution is fully compatible with all accessory mounting jaws and is the first of a new series of chucks and jaws. We are very proud of our new Axminster chuck which should give you many years of reliable service.... Ax has since taken to create the 114mm range of jaws.

Trust this helps in answering your question.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
perfect thanks :)
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:39:58 PM »
I have the evolution and have been wondering about this. The chuck will take the smaller 100mm jaws ( and others ) but will this in effect turn it into a 100mm chuck rather than 114mm ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 02:48:33 PM »
I don't see how it can do anything else really, but nice to know that I'm not forced to re-buy all my jaws again :)
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
It doesn't really make any difference as I see it because if you have a set of 32mm O'donell jaws they will only work effectively at 32mm whether installed on a 100mm chuck or a 114mm chuck, if you already have a 100mm Axminster chuck with a full set of jaws then the Evolution will give you the added range to take them to the larger sizes without changing the chuck. The Evolution will also take the smaller mounting blocks from the 100mm chuck so that you don't have to remount the jaws if you do it that way. What would be a seller for me would be a set of mounting blocks that are cut for the Nova/ Patriot jaws, that would make it even more compatible because when I was thinking of the Evolution I already had the Patriot and several sets of jaws for that one.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
perfect thanks :)

You're welcome John, please don't take just my word on it, follow up on further inquiries or just ask Ax.

Very valid point, Graham, Ax made the commitment to the larger size in the new chuck as being a different and advanced chuck, (most of that was to reduce body mass overhang of the bearings [length of body] yet still retain overall weight), the matching jaws are now being made to suit... this is more directed at larger holding capacity for some jaw designs.. eg the gripper jaws.

Cheers David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 03:24:30 PM »

Julcle, You'd summed up better than I had as a comparison, it would be like fitting the Colossus 150mm Gripper Jaws, then saying the chuck is now 150mm.

Cheers  David

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 04:42:03 PM »
It doesn't really make any difference as I see it because if you have a set of 32mm O'donell jaws they will only work effectively at 32mm whether installed on a 100mm chuck or a 114mm chuck,
That was my point. The evolution is a good chuck but will only really come into its own when Axi make a wider range of jaws for it.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?