Author Topic: another in the asian series  (Read 3611 times)

Clavico

another in the asian series
« on: May 31, 2014, 08:54:54 PM »
This is a box made from osage orange and cherry.  The cherry lid has been pyrographed and blackened.  10 cm x 8 cm

C & C welcome

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: another in the asian series
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
I like the base and the lid but sorry, not together. For me they seem to be inconsistent an don't go together. Sorry

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 11:30:41 PM »
I like the contrasting shapes and colours, but what I would say is that the rim and shoulder look a bit untidy or is that just the way it's been photograph.

Ed

Clavico

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 11:33:02 AM »
Thanks Ed and Pete.  Ed, when I look at the shoulder with my eyes and touch it with my finger, it is smooth.  So I think it's the photo but the rim admittedly could be smoother but then the lid wouldn't fit perfectly. Oh well!  Thanks for noticing. What do think about the pyro and the lid?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 05:11:48 PM »

The box base has a lovely grain and rich colour but for us looks too  busy to contrast well with the lid....Which you have
      made a very nice job...the pyro texture and colour really work well together.....and the lid shape is spot on
          Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 09:23:56 PM »
I'm with Tony & Di, there is absolutely nothing wrong with he turnings but the strength of the grain of the osage orange is too strong for the lid. It's fighting the work you've done on the lid.

I see it in a almost featureless timber, maybe mahogany, something darker but almost bland as far as the grain goes.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:48:14 PM »
I like the work that you have done on the lid it looks like you have spent some time on it, and it's paid off :)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2014, 12:32:33 AM »

A bit of a quirky piece, Clavico, I like it, different, challenges the eye more that the mind, mindset at that.. nothing ventured nothing gained... yet the knowledge.

The box form leaves it difficult to lead into a rim and shoulder, would have been better if reversed with an inner shoulder. The lid is a fine work of detail and finish, well done.

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Clavico

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2014, 02:31:16 PM »
Thanks to all for your comments and suggestions. As you may have noticed, I like to experiment and try out forms and combinations which are unusual.  These combinations don't always have resonance with my woodturning collegues which I understand fully.  I also agree that in this case the base and this lid combination don't quite jive based on the reasons you have mentioned. Although sometimes the with general public, internet pages etc., there is often more postive resonance based on a totally different viewpoint. But when an object really is successful it seems that almost everyone likes it whether they have knowledge of woodturning or not.  I see this quite often on the American Pinterest pages.

Excuse the philosophical waxing.

Best, Robert
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 07:01:20 PM by Clavico »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:30:37 PM »
Although sometimes the with general public, internet pages etc., there is often more postive resonance based on a totally different viewpoint.

Clavico

That statement is so true, sometimes the strangest things sell, wooden or otherwise.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!