Author Topic: craft show  (Read 6893 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: craft show
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 10:00:42 PM »
Gwyntog I quote " Given that you are donating the proceeds to charity, there is less pressure to charge a realistic price that provides the maker with  a living, which could undervalue your excellent work" This does not make sense. If he is not charging a realistic price he certainly is undervaluing his work,charity or not.
      I do make things for charities but do not sell them, I donate the piece and then it is up to the charity to decide how to get rid of it (normally by raffle or some such way)what I will not do is sell a piece cheap as it really does undervalue my work and every other wood turner's work in the country.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »
Gwyntog I quote " Given that you are donating the proceeds to charity, there is less pressure to charge a realistic price that provides the maker with  a living, which could undervalue your excellent work" This does not make sense. If he is not charging a realistic price he certainly is undervaluing his work,charity or not.
      I do make things for charities but do not sell them, I donate the piece and then it is up to the charity to decide how to get rid of it (normally by raffle or some such way)what I will not do is sell a piece cheap as it really does undervalue my work and every other wood turner's work in the country.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!!!!!!!

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2014, 04:22:26 AM »
Re the two previous threads, from John and Pete. There seems to have been a slight misunderstanding about what I was inferring. The point that I wanted to make was that, when selling a piece and donating the proceeds to charity, there is no longer the pressure to set a price that accurately reflects the value of the piece. I noted the fact that Malcom avoided falling into this trap, which is good for all of us. He kept the value of the item high, reflecting the work that he put into it. He gains by this because his work becomes known and appreciated for its real value. The charity gains by getting the higher donation and, ultimately, we turners all gain because the more of our output that is sold at a realistic price, the more the general public get to realise its true value.

John...you wrote that I'd got it wrong, stating that, 'If he is not charging a realistic price he certainly is undervaluing his work'. That was precisely the point that I was making, so I'm not clear as to how I got it wrong.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2014, 07:55:22 AM »
I was also puzzled by what Les meant and I think this sentence is still causing some confusion.
there is no longer the pressure to set a price that accurately reflects the value of the piece.
Les
I suspect,and chose to believe, that Les was saying that since it was being sold for charity there was not the pressure to sell it for less than its true worth just to put food on the table so to speak.

But of course I could be wrong  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2014, 08:30:58 AM »
I was also puzzled by what Les meant and I think this sentence is still causing some confusion.
there is no longer the pressure to set a price that accurately reflects the value of the piece.
Les
I suspect,and chose to believe, that Les was saying that since it was being sold for charity there was not the pressure to sell it for less than its true worth just to put food on the table so to speak.

If that is the case then I stand corrected.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 12:22:22 PM »

Sorry guys, if my clumsy wording has caused some misunderstanding....I really am of the same mind as you all on this andyes, Graham....that's exactly what I meant.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 02:14:49 PM »
 ;D