General Category > General Discussion

new to the list. hi all.

(1/2) > >>

theblindwoodturner:
Hi all.

I'm new to the list and thought I'd say hi. My name's Lew, I'm a blind professional woodturner from North Wales and thought I'd find a nice home to join, give some ideas, tuition and above all create plenty of gerbil friendly shavings etc.

have a great day / evening, etc.

lew

Martin Lawrence:
Hi Lew,

Welcome to the forum, look forward to your future postings.

Cheers Martin.

woodndesign:

Hi Lew, Welcome to the forum, woodturning and equally, well done in taking on a challenging hobby, which as sighted we can find difficult, if not hazardous with all our scences, a lot is always down to touch, sizing, how smooth a finish, but to think as to closing one eyes or not seeing..
 May I ask as to what degree are you blind, have you gone blind or have you never had a understanding as to shape or colour, it's a thing I could not contemplate even.
 Is there any kind of shaving a Gerbil/Hamster likes best or not at all, other than dry and dust free ????    DON'T mistake Hamsters or Shaving on Toast, don't like the sound of cheese on shaving..     :-[ .....

Take care and happy turning.

David

theblindwoodturner:
Thanks david and martin.

david, you've just made my day lol I've never laughed my socks off so much lol.

I've been blind for over 11 years since I was 15. I won't go into the details of what happened. I don't want to upset anyone or tread on any toes.. I've no memory of colour, pattern, etc but do appreciate shape, form, etc and use a lot of strange and unusual ideas in my work.

Turning is a purely sensual artform. From feeling what your gouge wants to do, to the shape imparted to the spinning piece, to the fine finish work and final finishing methods. For me, I'm fussy about tools. I have to test a product fully before I take it on as my own rig. so say as an example hollowing gear. I avoid Robert sorby tools for two reasons. design and type of cutters used and also the RS2000 system.

So my preferred tools for hollowing are the woodcut proforme setup, etc. I'm in that stage of expanding to a master lathe and fully stocking to the entire sorby range of turning tools with exception of the hollowing gear and a few other bits.

Feel is a very interesting perspective to a project. OK I don't get  the pleasure others get when they see a product finished ready for sale, etc. Colour finishes and the likes of just go out of my head lol but my trusty assistant has some input.

anyway yes I do also have reservations on shavings on toast. Apparently if you find a gang of gerbils, you could design a gerbil / hamster powered lathe..... interesting idea.

lew

woodndesign:

Lew,   Glad to make your day..   with the Hamster powered lathe, you could only work at night, as I recall it's the only time they run in the wheel..   ???

Thank you for being understanding in our interest as your degree of blindness, for we have only the slightest of understanding as to how it maybe for you.

Interesting in what you say of Sorby, I've wondered as to their hollowers, the end cost, if you add up all you'll need to make a system.. they'll tell you the handles fits any tool bar, but then you need them if, like me, all your tools are handles, it's a waste or just added cost..   The Rolly Munro, on price, has all you'll need included, as I'm given to understand.   Crown has come up with the Revolution system, which has run some good reports, as any tool will, the end is like you've said, it's what works for you, I've been to the shows, seen the demo on that must have new tool... got it and can you at times make it work the same..   :-[ ....  the RS 200 KT is one...  but then I've discovered the pick is missing...  so, but that's the square end on..

Look forward to seeing your work, enjoy the change to the Master lathe, all the best to yourself and trusted assistant.

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version