Author Topic: What's your dream lathe?  (Read 10452 times)

theblindwoodturner

What's your dream lathe?
« on: June 07, 2011, 07:01:57 PM »
OK here's a subject very close to my heart.

"What's your dream lathe?"

We all have our ideal lathe or close to ideal lathe in mind. In these days of modern manufacturing and technology, lathes are offered in various configurations. from short bed mini lathes to the titans of the world with huge distances between centres and larger than life swing over bed dimensions, etc.

So my question to all you wood chipping folk....

What is your dream lathe? feel free to mention makes and models as reference or even your own designs, go into as much detail as you like or can do. This would be a good place to introduce lathe manufacturers to specifications which we'd all love to have available to us.

It doesn't matter how big or small your dream lathe is... just feel free to inspire others. it may be an existing lathe in manufacture, your own design, a model which you'd like to see redesigned and improved or even a lathe from the past.

To set things off... Here's my dream lathe.... well it's one of two lol.

1: a custom made version of the DVR XP lathe. As we all know, the DVR lathe is a 16in swing lathe  inboard and 24in between centres. I'd been the proud owner of a DVR which was purchased by a very good friend who is also a woodturner and lover of all things shavings based. It got me thinking.... Why don't teknatool produce a larger specification lathe for professional work and mass production, etc?

So Here's my idea of a custom spec DVR. Take 1 DVR motor and upgrade it to offer upto 3HP or so, a much more flexible speed range. nin speed... 20RPM, max speed.... 3500RPM. Much larger, heavier castings with a 64 point indexing system. a much heavier spindle to support heavier projects. A fixed headstock with outboard at the reverse side of the head. Lets talk specifications...... yes folks the real dirt..... Inboard swing 28in... outboard swing, 48 or 50in.  distance between centres. 5ft standard with option to extend to whatever length you need (keeping the same bed extension method but on a more industrial specification). The tailstock to offer 8in travel on the quill with a 3MT spindle bore. Solid frame as a complete casting to the lathe instead of the original leg stand, why not a full solid iron casting box to the headstock with mounting for outboard turning attachment (same heavy casting as I refer to the main bed with a heavy duty toolrest and rock solid banjo.  Now the tech side.... Sticking to the same inverter technology but on a heavier, more industrial specification, the user interface could benefit from improvements. why not make the main panel larger and more tactile, then a data port for an optional remote switch. not forgetting the EMERGENCY STOP function on a magnetic base which could be placed anywhere on the lathe.. etc...

2: a suped up JET 4224 lathe with the added extension bed, bowl rig, etc. (this is my planned new lathe for all work.

Have fun. If there's a lathe you want to design, the possibilities are endless lol.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: What's your dream lathe?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 09:36:56 PM »

Lew, Good one, what can I add..  Ohhh to Dream..  yep Jet 4224, it's smaller brother the 3520B..  or why not the Vicmarc VL 300....  a lot run VB36's...  Ok it maybe the bee's knee, what are bee's knee's like!!!  aren't they hairy..    ;D .. or is that just their legs.. as any turner...  maybe not the ladies..

If we look to America, it's a whole new ball game, Lathe wise, the stubby for one, Laguna, Oneway, which we get here, as Jet... there's so many more.

Your idea as to the DVR is something..  it could be much like a Highbred Graduate given bigger capacity, lower/drop bed mounts for greater swing, the list goes on..

It would be found that a lot of lathes have come about by the input of turners, I know the Myford Mystro was one, the end is, what will it cost and who would pay..  are we back to the VB36...   ??? ...

Lets watch and follow the feedback to this.

Sweet dreams, all..   ;) ...           Hands off the chocolate biscuits..    >:( ...

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 09:45:32 PM »
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love it.

regards lathes. The VB36 is  out for me. it's not what I like in features or design. I like a lathe that has that certain feel and attractiveness to it.

It's a shame we can't get laguna tools here. their  "FF Class lathe is something I'd love to own.

Vicmarc again are very nice and have worked with one before but at over £6000 now it's a little more than I can afford.

My favourite old lathe has to be the union graduate. there was a version called the pattern maker's lathe where there was a moveable toolpost for intricate work which I came across. similar to the wadkins.

A lottery win would be nice. I could launch a complete workshop and teaching unit. kitted out with lathes both past and present for my own work and a series of vicmarcs for the teaching side. phil irons would love me for that lol.

Tea? Coffee? Hobnobs? KitKat?

please be aware of the neighbour's cat now nicknamed dusty for reasons too interesting to speak of lol.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:50 PM »
Tomorrows Lotto night...   ;D ...  my numbers areeeeeeeeeeee

Having seen the laguna Platinum Series 18/47 lathe and to me it's the same as the Axminster AWVSWL1200 Lathe, as with the Plapinum Series 59" Copy lathe is the Axminster CL1500 Copy Lathe...  but for the labels..  is it the usual that someone makes them for both Companies or are they Laguna's own and Ax re-label..

I like the Graduate, School had them if I re-call correctly and I had use of a short bed since and big Wadkin, not sure of the model, it was a long walk on some newels and to get them set between centers.

L.R.E Machinery & Equipment Co. carry a range of lathes, new and rebuilt, even to your spec...  interesting...  Umm..   Lotto win.   PLEASE.

Oh well Tea, no Hobnobs for me..   :'( ..   the KitKat has to be Chunky...

Of Kitty Kat..  Keep Dusty out of the shaving..   ;D ..   it's like puppies and News papers..

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:00:19 AM by woodndesign »

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:56:46 PM »
as union graduates go. I'd love to pick one up next to nothing as a restoration project and tune it up to my own needs. rip out the original motor, install a 2hp motor with variable speed, respray the entire body and give the bed ways some love and attention. I did one once some years ago and loved it. gave it a custom paint finish, managed to get a clean union graduate logo plate, etc and was very happy indeed.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 08:24:35 PM »

Graduates always demand good prices, but given, if you can and are able to re-build one and as parts are available to upgrade or you can make them, if a cheap, even if ratted or scrap one came up, if compleat and sound casting could make the ideal lathe... Ummm... that maybe is what L.R.E do.

Power to the Hamsters...

David

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:06:15 AM »
lol good point. have you seen the prices for LRE gear? hmmmmmmm reconditioned gear OK fair enough but for that price I'd like some extras.

Perhaps I might advertise for a wanted union graduate for a reasonable price and see what happens. would be nice as a 2nd lathe for teaching purposes.

Offline duncanh

• iron
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:12:27 PM »
To set things off... Here's my dream lathe.... well it's one of two lol.

1: a custom made version of the DVR XP lathe. As we all know, the DVR lathe is a 16in swing lathe  inboard and 24in between centres. I'd been the proud owner of a DVR which was purchased by a very good friend who is also a woodturner and lover of all things shavings based. It got me thinking.... Why don't teknatool produce a larger specification lathe for professional work and mass production, etc?

So Here's my idea of a custom spec DVR. Take 1 DVR motor and upgrade it to offer upto 3HP or so, a much more flexible speed range. nin speed... 20RPM, max speed.... 3500RPM. Much larger, heavier castings with a 64 point indexing system. a much heavier spindle to support heavier projects. A fixed headstock with outboard at the reverse side of the head. Lets talk specifications...... yes folks the real dirt..... Inboard swing 28in... outboard swing, 48 or 50in.  distance between centres. 5ft standard with option to extend to whatever length you need (keeping the same bed extension method but on a more industrial specification). The tailstock to offer 8in travel on the quill with a 3MT spindle bore. Solid frame as a complete casting to the lathe instead of the original leg stand, why not a full solid iron casting box to the headstock with mounting for outboard turning attachment (same heavy casting as I refer to the main bed with a heavy duty toolrest and rock solid banjo.  Now the tech side.... Sticking to the same inverter technology but on a heavier, more industrial specification, the user interface could benefit from improvements. why not make the main panel larger and more tactile, then a data port for an optional remote switch. not forgetting the EMERGENCY STOP function on a magnetic base which could be placed anywhere on the lathe.. etc...

lew

You might be in luck with some of those specs. The Teknatool Facebook page recently said that they'd be announcing some new products at the AAW and another show soon.
I've seen somewhere that they've been working on a 3hp lathe similar to the DVR but with greater swing and a few other improvements - there was a photo and it looked pretty similar. One of the Sorby staff told me that they'd seen a prototype back in the days that Sorby were the distributors, which is several years back now.

I'd hope for: a banjo that doesn't allow the rest to flex when extended out at its max from the bed, same for the outboard turning attachment (I've been using mine today and get fed up having to wedge a length of pipe underneath it to stop the flex), some sort of mechanism to stop the quill unwinding too far, an external thread for the handwheel to screw onto (this would allow me to screw on my own fittings- like couterweight wheels), a spindle thread that was harder and less prone to damage, an indexing system that doesn't have any play in it.

Of course, a remote box with an emergency stop should have been produced years ago and I've been requesting one from them pretty much since I bought the lathe and started sitting at the tailstock end for hollowing. I was told that they had one ready for production at least 5 years ago but I've given up waiting. I've been using one I made myself from a circuit diagram found on one of the online groups and I wouldn't be without it. My latest version has a box with stop, go, up and down plus a socket to daisy chain other boxes - I have an extra stop button with a magnet which I can place down by my foot, on the banjo or where ever I choose. Let me know if you want the diagram and the instructions.

Let's see what they come up with...

Duncan

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 07:15:58 PM »
sounds very interesting. I'm about to order my new lathe soon as soon as the workshop has finished it's refurb. I'm going for the jet 4224 lathe. can't wait that long for teknatool to roll out a 3HP rig.

lew

kasandrich

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
I have a Poolewood DVSL and I am very content with it, if you want a longer bed they can do it for a price.

2MT Tapers, M33x3.5 thread for good supply of chucks.  With outboard turning rig for bigger stuff, but the swing over the bed is 9inches giving up to 18inch diameter over the bed, and up to 38inches between centres (longer beds available if required). and up to 38inches plus outboard capability. The 1.5hp motor copes with most things.

Headstock moves freely to any position on the bed and rotates to any desired angle.

Coupled with a good sturdy adjustable height stand its a very good Lathe.

Biggest thing I moan to myself about is that the banjo does not move freely enough.......and then I remind myself thats my own fault, clean & lube it all with a bit of wax and its fine  ::)

Offline duncanh

• iron
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 10:31:33 AM »
sounds very interesting. I'm about to order my new lathe soon as soon as the workshop has finished it's refurb. I'm going for the jet 4224 lathe. can't wait that long for teknatool to roll out a 3HP rig.

lew

Teknatool have announced some new products for release in Autumn. Details in their 2011 pdf catalogue

Highlights include:
DVR2024 lathe - 2HP, 20" swing over bed,100rpm - 5000rpm
CometII midi lathe which will take attachments to fit grinder, sanding disk and more on outboard,
Titan2 chuck (similar to Titan which was sold as Supernova Deluxe in UK - my favourite chuck)
Wireless remote which can be worn as a watch or held by magnet. Comes as standard to 2024, can be used with more recent DVRs and retro fitted to older ones

The only price I've seen is about $100 for the remote (so guess at £100)

Duncan