Author Topic: Making a goblet  (Read 6499 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Making a goblet
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2014, 11:51:30 AM »
Toy safe usually is usually the same standard as being food safe as it means it can be sucked and chewed by kids. My main concern is if it comes of in the liquids I would be putting it in. We'll see. As i said I have ordered some and I have some old goblets I can use it on to experiment. see what it's like. I'll post the results. At the cost per litre, which is anything up to 1/4 the price of other hard wax oils, it is worth 'avin' a go.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
Re: Making a goblet
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
Graham,
I'm starting to wonder that as well.
The Mark Raby 'Treatex' meets with (Shamlessly lifted from his site);
Regulation DIN68861-1B. Resistance to water, wine, beer, coffee, tea, fizzy drinks, etc.
Toy safe DIN EN 71-3.
Certified anti-bacterial to standard JIS Z2801-2000.
Meets with VOC emissions.
It's not Mark Raby's product, it is manufacture by would you believe it, Treatex. I have used it on some of my turnings for some years now but I wouldn't consider it sufficiently waterproof to render a wooden goblet impervious to liquid. It is sold mainly as a wooden floor treatment but does work well on turnings, albeit taking a bit longer to dry than products made specifically for turning. Treatex have a good website http://www.treatex.co.uk/hardwax-oil/ingredients and their technical staff have always been very helpful. It may be worth asking them whether or not they consider their product suitable for a goblet. And the products are available from many retail outlets.
Personally I would go for Plastikote as suggested by Pete, as that is specifically made to coat wooden objects to render them properly waterproof.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club