Author Topic: Olive Root Hollow Form  (Read 3852 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Olive Root Hollow Form
« on: September 06, 2014, 05:31:57 PM »
Not posted anything for a while been playing around with natural wood so thought I see what you all think of this Olive root hollow form 290mm high 140mm at it's widest. Finished with beeswax.

Thanks for looking

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Olive Root Hollow Form
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:31:54 PM »
Well, Ed, that's rather special, isn't it? A classic, high-shouldered urn and the most spectacular bit of grain and a host of other natural features to go with it.

If I had to change anything, I'd have put a small feature of some sort between the foot and the wall of the urn.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 06:48:45 PM »
Thanks Les

would you have used a bead? I was thinking about is but I liked the patten of the wood too much so left it

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:32:32 PM »
The main problem that I have with this is that the wood ended up in your hands not mine  ;D Seriously it is a lovely piece of wood and you have done it proud. Normally I would have had a different foot but yours works fine for me, more Grecian urn than oriental. Nice simp0le shape allowing the wood to do all the shouting.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 08:24:49 PM »
Thanks Les

would you have used a bead? I was thinking about is but I liked the patten of the wood too much so left it
Hi again, Ed...I think that I would have given the foot a rolled edge (like a bead) then taken it in a few mm before rising the wall of the urn sharply, rather than blending it off the curve of the foot....but that's just my personal taste. You've done it a way that you like and the effect is really good.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2014, 08:51:16 PM »
Nice vessel using some  nice wood , I have never turned olive wood before , what is it like to turn ?  That was quite tricky to turn by not having a complete circumference to the rim  ( entry hole ), I have done a few like this and I know what it is like and prefer to avoid them if I can , it is always a bit of a thought inducing process knowing what shape to make  the exterior of the form in relation to the voids and bark inclusions etc but you have done a good job here , also a simple profile if using highly figured wood seems to work best as you have here and like a few others I feel a different foot  may work  a bit better but not sure what style would suit it best .

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »
It's quite nice to turn, but it was very wet and had mud imbedded throughout the centre in bands

Ed 

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 08:41:29 PM »

An amazing piece of olive root and very classical in form, think perhaps I
              would have taken off the foot to give it more flow but again its personal choice.
              well done ED
                                Tony and di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
Having spent 25 hours looking at this and resisting the temptation to make jokes about Greek Erns I have to say I love it. That vase has more character than you can shake a stick at.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »

Ed, you've created an impressive piece, taken on quite a challenge given a lot of it is not there in the first place.

The critique has been done on the foot, only other part is the step leading to the shoulder, not sure on that part, yet achieved as said an impressive form.  Well done.     David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 07:10:15 AM »
Thank you Tony, Di, Graham and David

I take on board the comments about the foot, I've got some more of this so I'll do another without a foot. the band around the collar was done to give the neck a bit more strength, I could have turned this away but I might not have had much of a collar left  :)

In fact the whole thing is where it's at because it's where I through it was best to stop so there was something to look at  :) :) :) instead of a nicely turn piece of air  :) :) :) :)

Happy Turning

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:28 AM »
very fine hollow form Ed,lovely piece,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world