Author Topic: 14" Tactile Bowl  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
14" Tactile Bowl
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:11:10 PM »
I bought this lump as a burr, and it certainly was the right shape, being almost hemi-sherical, with the domed surface all bark and the circular, flat surface promising some interesting grain. However, when I cut into it, there wasn't a knot or pip in sight, but what I did find was a beautiful piece of ash with a highly contorted grain pattern. Having so much bark, it was a bit of a trial cutting through deeply enough to get a good grip with a set of 100mm deep-grip jaws and I had to loose nearly 2 inches off the depth, but it was worth it, ending up at 14" diameter x 4"deep.

I wanted to make the bowl have a 'feel' that reflected the complexity of the grain, so I hard sanded it with 40 grit garnet paper, then 60 grit, then onto Rhyngrip at 80, 120, 180, 240, 320 and 400. the whole bowl was then given a few coats of cellulose, mostly brushed on and wiped off, but sprayed into the bark crevices, with it all being rubbed back at 600 grit. Next followed three coats of microcrystaline buffed with a firm buffing wheel to give a satin finish. Any wax that had collected in the bark crevices was dispersed with a jet of compressed air and then melted into the crevices by flash-flaming with a gas torch.

A lot of work, but worth every minute.
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: 14" Tactile Bowl
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:02:56 PM »
Les,

I've seen the sort of lump you described. They are normally called a cancker, a growth over an injury, wonderful hemispheres. As you note, no burr but great grain patterns.

Just to look at, the grain patterns look like contours of a mountainous area and the bark you've left on the outside brings it to life. From your description I'd love to pick this up and run it through my hands.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 09:48:04 PM »

Les,

You sure are finding some incredible pieces of timber, not only that, but you excel in getting the very best from every piece, you seem to surmount any challenge a piece can and often presents, given this as Ash and the very pronounced and irregular somewhat fine grain you've succeeded.

Well done on bringing out the best with form and finish and sharing this interesting piece with us.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:35:22 PM »
A lovely piece of wood Les and well turned. If you want to retain more of the bark use a hot glue chuck. I turn the outside with the bark using a screw chuck and hot glue a piece of wood onto it. I then turn that back to use as my tenon. If there is any doubt about the strength of the bark to hold give it a bit of a soak with CA glue before putting the tenon on. This way you can keep most of the bark on the underside of the bowl. Here's an example of what I mean.

Pete

Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 11:25:54 PM »
Les I could not agree more with the comments you find stunning pieces of timber and then turn to show of there beauty  :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 08:16:32 AM »
Les, that is an impressive looking bowl, you certainly go the extra mile.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »

That's a very unusual piece of wood Les and you have captured it to a tee
            Tony and di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

andersonec

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 07:37:29 PM »
I bought this lump as a burr, and it certainly was the right shape, being almost hemi-sherical, with the domed surface all bark and the circular,

A lot of work, but worth every minute.

Les, I have seen those "lumps" on ash trees and they are where a branch has been lopped off and a callus has formed over the stub which then forms a perfect dome shape, quite a common mistake to make but a nice piece of wood all the same and a beautiful bowl too.

Andy