Author Topic: Multiple Chucks  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Multiple Chucks
« on: September 23, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
I needed to change the jaws on my Evolution chuck for a smaller set last night, for the first time. What a phaff about, it took about a dozen ttys before they would all grip at the same time and slide in together. I see now why people have several chucks.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Multiple Chucks
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 11:47:37 AM »
graham one of the things I do when changing jaws (which isn't very often, and now you see why) is leave the screws loose and close the jaws until they all meet nicely and then tighten the screws.

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 12:53:39 PM »
Best solution I found is to keep each jaw set on their own carriers, that way you just wind them out and wind the new ones back in. I switch between 2 or 3 sets and it takes seconds. Cheaper than 3 chucks too!!

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 02:11:07 PM »

Graham, Are you locating in the wrong order, it should be easy if the start of the scroll is before #1 slide, slot in carrier, wind forward until engaged and not past slide #2 .. etc.. check on the correct carrier # .. I've some of mine that are marked in the slide and with a code # besides.

Sorry should I have it wrong from reading into your post.

Cheers David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:24 PM »
No David, you have it right. The jaws are on their own carriers but I am not sure what you mean by winding until '1' is engaged but stopping before '2'. Sounds like I am doing it wrong. I took the chuck off and laid flat on table, took the old jaw/carrier combos out then positioned the new 4 combos in the right slots and held them all in place while turning the key. Three would wind in together with the fourth a little way behind each time.
Regards
Graham

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 04:43:57 PM »
What you will find Graham is that the carriers are moved in and out by a scroll thread behind the carriers, if you unwind the jaws you will find that 4 comes out first then 3 then 2 and finally 1. When they are all out have a look at the thread in the gaps while you turn the chuck key. The jaw positions will be numbered 1 to 4 and the carriers will be numbered 1 to 4 as will the jaws themselves, it is important to match up the numbers. when replacing the jaws make sure the scroll is about to catch jaw 1 then wind it in until you see the thread in the no2 window you can then insert no 2 jaw and so on to number 4. When you understand how the chuck works it will take only a few moments to change the jaws if they are on their own carriers If you don't have extra carriers you will have to swap jaw 1 for jaw 1 and jaw 2 for jaw 2 etc. Hope this makes sense.  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 05:00:55 PM »

Hi Graham  Although  The jaws & carriers are marked  1-2-3-4 The carriers are a matched set & not interchangeable ,
    each set has a different code. Check you have not mixed two sets of carriers. .
    Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
No, I haven't mixed 2 sets, I only have the long carriers that came with the evolution chuck (114nn) and the shorter set I just brought to go with the smaller jaws ( for a 100mm chuck but made to fit the evolution as well )  I hadn't era;ized you would be able to see the spiral as julian says. I had the numbers all matched but will try feeding them one at a time next time :)
Regards
Graham

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 10:45:01 PM »

Hi Graham, Sorry to have been a little vague with my explanation.

Julian has clarified more fully on the operation, a further point should have mentioned are the chuck slides are numbered and the scroll works anti-clockwise.. and the key .. Ahhh.. how is it it's never easy to explain .. yet never think twice with the chuck at hand ... that said, one of the resent times I'd change the jaws, 2 didn't slot in first time, but started the second turn, when the jaws fully closed 2 was a tooth out ..  ::) ... so it happens ..  :-[ ..

Glad to find you're likely to have sorted the problem.   Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 07:12:26 AM »
There seem to be a lot of messing around fitting jaws to the Evolution chuck I don't have any of these problems with my Patriot chuck and I'm changing the jaws all the time.

Ed

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 09:57:50 AM »
used to change the jaws on my sorby patriot and couldn't be done with it. too much faffing around when i'd rather be turning.

when i got the 3520b i bough 3 chucks and have found a few on ebay to fit my machine as well.

takes 15 seconds to switch chucks.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
just buy a set of carriers for each set of jaws,saves so much time and phlaffing about
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2014, 03:42:12 PM »
Knowing how they work now, changing them this time took about 20 seconds  :) Thanks all.
Regards
Graham