Author Topic: Natural egde bowl  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Natural egde bowl
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:53 AM »
Hello everybody, here is a 7x4 inch bowl made from a black cherry burl. This is the second  bowl of this type i made. The checks in the wood are filled with coloured epoxy and the bowl is finished with boiled flax seed oil and shellak. Cherry burls can be beautifull but are full of voids, checks, bark inclusions and worms highways: a real pain.
CC welcomed as usual.
Regards.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Natural egde bowl
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 04:39:55 AM »
Hi Sevilla....It's a great looking piece and I'm glad that you worked the lip of the bowl in the way that you did, to show as much of the 'crust' as you possibly could - it must have been quite a challenge undercutting the rim. I guess that the next step along this road is to make a hollow form in this way - this piece is certainly becoming an enclosed form.
The only thing that doesn't appeal to me is the colour of the infill; I feel that it's too close to the colour of the timber and just jars a little against it. I think that I would have chosen a colour with a higher contrast, but colour is very subjective and that doesn't make me right, it's just my personal preference.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 09:47:47 AM »
I'm with Les re: the colour of the infill. Regarding the voids, checks, bark inclusions and worms highways, I see those as something to look for as so much of my work uses that type of wood. I like the fact that you have left it quite thick. So often we seem to think we have to make bowls as thin as possible for some reason making them almost impossible to pick up for fear of braking them. All in all a piece after my own heart LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »

Although we colour some of our work.   We are both great fans of natural edge pieces.
         You have managed to capture the character and depth of colour in this piece
         Well Done
         Di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:18:46 AM »
Hi Sevilla

Now this is really my sort of thing it looks great apart from the red infill, I think that it would have been better with no filling what so ever, but that's just the way I would have finished it.

But as to the shape and turning top draw  :)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 07:13:58 PM »
Sevilla,

I like this. The outer curve hides the point of contact with the surface it sits on, making it look like it's floating, a very good effect for a bowl. I also like the fact you've not overcut the burr and left a nice wide rim to show off the burr itself.

As for the colour of the epoxy infill, I think we are more used to metal  (here in the UK) or turquoise (from your side of the pond). I think the problem with the red is that the lighting of the bowl has given it an orange hue so that the epoxy does not show as well as it might against the burr.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
Thank you all. Yes, the lighting are somewahat misleading. The red is red and when I saw the checks go through the wall I had to do something to stabilize the wood. Looking at them, starting from tha center of the base and soreading outward toward the rim I immediately thought of flames and red seemed appropriate.
The untercut is not well visible in the picture but is the max I could do and the wall is in less than 1/8 inch under the depressions of the edge that with its irregularities and spikes could fit well with the concept of Dante's Inferno....
Sometimes fantasy goes too far.
Regards