Author Topic: Info about Acacia  (Read 4482 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Info about Acacia
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:58:15 PM »
All that I know about acacia could be written on my thumb nail, but I'd like to know more. A friend (Chris Hart -Hartwood) gave me a piece to play with and when I bought a load of timber recently, there were a few big pieces amongst it. One piece was big enough for me to make a huge (by my standards) natural edge bowl, which has amazing grain in  it. I haven't photographed it yet, as it's still drying out and has not been oiled.

So....who knows what about it? I understand that it's also known as Mimosa and that Noah's Ark was probably built out of it, but would like to know more about our indigenous acacia.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Info about Acacia
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »
it's indigenous to australia mate, not our shores...

it's often known as silk tree or silver wattle and is very similar to australian blackwood and averages 630kg m3 in weight with a honey colour brown heartwood with a smoothish grey bark similar to beech.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:41:32 PM »
noah's ark was made out of something called gohper wood but no one seems to know what the species actually is.

cypress seem's most likely as it has been used in boat building for thousands of years.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 05:44:07 AM »
it's indigenous to australia mate, not our shores...
Hi Steve....I have three big half-rounds; sections of log, about 2ft diameter and 18" long, cut along the pith line. They are amongst a batch that a turner in Worcester had amassed over the years, all of which had come from a friend of his, who is a tree surgeon. So I'm guessing that this must have come from a big country estate somewhere, and must have been one of those specimen trees that the Victorians loved to plant in the grounds of country houses.

smoothish grey bark similar to beech.
....but the bark is nothing like beech, having been very deeply textured. I found these images this morning, on Wikipaedia. The first is remarkably similar to the half-round logs that I have, especially the texture of the bark.....

....and the timber shown in this image from Wikipaedia shows a timber that is very similar to what I've just turned (it's not unlike laburnum).

One fact that I have come across several times, is that there are over 1300 sub-species of acacia, so I guess that we can't generalise too much about it. I normally use www.wood-database.com and I tried in vain to find their search-tool last night.....but found it this morning (I must have been having a senior moment last night). They identify the acacia known as Australian Blackwood that you mention, Steve, and it is quite similar to mine, but they also mention an acacia with the bizarre name of Raspberry Jam, which is remarkably similar to mine.....and could explain the sweet, fruity smell that I encountered when turning it.

Les

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 12:03:43 PM »
  Throughout Europe Robinia grows is often called False or Fools Acacia.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 12:22:33 PM »
  Throughout Europe Robinia grows is often called False or Fools Acacia.

Cheers Martin.

Hi Martin...I have a small log of robinia - false acacia in the workshop, and I can see why the two would be confused. does it grow into good-sized trees? I tend to think of robinia as a garden shrub!

Les

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 02:58:14 PM »
Have now posted a few pics of the acacia I've been turning, as a WIP in the gallery.

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 11:39:42 AM »

Hi Les,

Robinia has many varieties, my pens came from a Robinia tree not sure what genus, but it stood some 30 foot tall and had a bole of 18 to 20 inches.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:55 PM »

Hi Les,

Robinia has many varieties, my pens came from a Robinia tree not sure what genus, but it stood some 30 foot tall and had a bole of 18 to 20 inches.

Cheers Martin.

the robinia tree only comes from one genus "robinia". the only species that is a tree of any use is "robinia pseudoacacia" but there are many cultivars and variants with regards to the look of the tree.

the wood seems to vary quite a bit.