Author Topic: Beaded boxes  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Beaded boxes
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:13:46 AM »
I made one of these ages ago and everybody liked it - yet it took a while to sell! Anyway, I just developed the idea and made a couple more of them.

The first was a disaster. The wood was far too punky for the beader to cut a clean bead, so I used it simply to mark out regular grooves and then scorched them. It's a little over 5" high, with a piece of Tibetan Turquoise in the lid.

...but this one was much more successful. It was a piece of spalted sycamore branchwood, which took beads like a dream. This one's a little over 4" high and has a piece of Mariam Jasper in the lid, which I reckon is a perfect compliment to the spalting.

Finish is carnauba over cellulose sealer.

C&C welcome...Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Beaded boxes
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 07:51:41 PM »
Les,

shame about the first one. those little tearout spots do detract from it, strange as it might sound, if you'd torn out all of them it might have worked slightly better. That or using the point of the skew to chamfer the edges and cut them away.

But the second one is so much more, the curves work with the beads to bring it to life, but it's fun to roll around in your hands.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
Re: Beaded boxes
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 08:12:51 PM »

Like both of these boxes Les....The turquoise blends well and sets the box off
     The preferred choice has to bee the honeypot for us and yes the jasper compliments the spalting ....spot on
      di and Tony
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/