Author Topic: Spiral twist candlesticks  (Read 3618 times)

Offline malcy

• gold
Spiral twist candlesticks
« on: November 01, 2014, 07:45:14 PM »
My first spiral twist segmented candlesticks using pau Amarillo, paduk, mahogany and spun pewter. Note that the pair use right and left handed spirals. Some new techniques learnt to make these. Overall dimensions are 8.5 inches high and 4 inches diameter, with the wood portion being 7.25 inches high and 1.75 inches diameter.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Spiral twist candlesticks
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 08:11:06 PM »
Hi Malcy,
             I think these are the most beautiful pair of candle sticks I have ever seen the mix of different materials for me makes it an outstanding
piece of work Congratulations.
                                           Regards John

John Smith

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 09:14:45 PM »
I am in agreement with John.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 09:21:30 PM »
So far, I'm in the minority here....it's just not my thing.....but that raises two issues.

Firstly, the comments of John and Graham show that we can't all have the same tastes, so I don't assume that I'm right....it's just not my taste,
Secondly....just because I don't like this sort of work , it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate the quality. I think that you've done a great job of them. They are a testimony to your skill and patience.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 09:31:45 PM »
Malcy, firstly well done,good quality candlesticks. I am intrigued as to the new techniques that you learnt.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 11:31:06 AM »
I`m intrigued,did you turn 2 tubes then cut the spirals out roughly on a scrollsaw being careful to leave shoulders for the joins at either end,then join the 8 pieces together plus end caps and then glue and re-turn to smooth the outside and finnish the spirals ???,would be nice to know how you did it,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
Interesting technique or method - I can't see what you've done to acieve the treble spiral the way you have.

Like everyone else I'm intrigued to learn your method, please
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline malcy

• gold
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments guys. The method used is as follows. I turned four pieces ( two of each colour for the bines)' then drilled each with a 22mm hole all through. Then each was end capped. I tried two different ways to cut the spirals. Firstly by hand, secondly with a router and the Trend router lathe. The spiral cuts finished within 6mm of the end. All four turnings were made to the same dimensions. Two were made with a right hand spiral and two with a left hand spiral. Then using a bandsaw, I cut into the end into the gap between the bines, firstly to make two halves of a pair and then these in half again to release each of the spirals. Finishing with various grits was then done. Two of each colour bine were put together to achieve the finished form and these were adjusted at the ends to give good joints, before gluing and clamping. The end caps were then cut off, the ends were cleaned up and new end caps added. This made four candleholders, two left and two right handed. They were finished on the lathe with four coats of acrylic lacquer. The tops and bottoms were then spun from pewter discs and ca glued in place.
The new techniques (new to me, that is) were making the twists and then cutting the pieces up and reforming. I am still learning the best way to make the twists by hand using a Dremel and small angle grinder. The Trend router lathe does limit the type and size of twist you can achieve. I will next build a similar system to use on the lathe. Hope this answers your questions. What I didn't mention is that there is a lot of sanding involved making these spirals. Malcolm.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »

Very intriguing Malcolm your skill and patience has definitely paid off
     Tony and Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 07:16:54 AM »
Malcolm great job and a very good detailed description on the process.

I like them a lot  :)

Thanks for sharing the process

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 08:36:41 AM »
They are even more impressive when you know the amount of work that goes into them.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »

As it should be with a pair of twists left & right handed. Excellent work and well done.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''