Author Topic: I've had an idea!  (Read 8060 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
I've had an idea!
« on: December 06, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
I've had an idea, tell me what you think of it please.
  I am going to purchase a new lathe to cart around the country for the demonstrations I get booked to do. This will replace the Axminster 330 which is still going strong but restricts some of the things I can demo so I was thinking of building a cupboard to mount the lathe on with a removable axle and wheels and wheel barrow type handles.
         I can put in the cupboard all of the equipment for the lathe, that way nothing ever gets left behind and an assortment of finishes, abrasives, tools and extension leads etc. By removing the lathe from the top and with help from members of the club I am visiting the cupboard should be liftable into the back of my Zafira.
      All this is designed to help me carry on working as I get older and at times infirm, so the questions are:-
Do you think it will work? do you think I will get help lifting it in and out of the car? do I need any other provisions on the cupboard? is there an alternative to this?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: I've had an idea!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 08:58:50 PM »
I think you will get help lifting in and out easily enough but make sure you get some good wide wheels to reface bounce.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
Positive: Sounds like a good idea in principle. Everything built in, on hand and maneuverable
Negative: Not sure about always getting help at clubs. How long would it take to put together, dismantle? Some clubs like to be away ten minutes after end of demo.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 09:50:59 PM »
Could you build as a wheeled chassis with minor storage, then the cabinet/cupboard/bench to lock on the chassis for moving and working, have the units so the cabinet/lathe can be slide firstly at boot level from your car and locked in place and moved, then later the reverse after the demo. A little easier you'd best have to lift on too the frame and later down into the car. The chassis/wheels can then be stowed.

Two factors are all car parks level/even... Can most venues have a step into the building.... Ah, for the construction when loaded could it be top heavy.

You're on to a good idea, maybe two or three runs before you're sorted... perhaps.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 10:36:52 PM »
As Pete says the problem could be getting help to load and unload, also how will you load and unload it at home?

Before I was forced to give up demos I was going to build or buy a mitre saw type stand which folded up and could be used like a sack barrow for moving the lathe.   Something like this but a cheaper version. http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Cotech-Mobile-Mitre-Saw-Stand/40-7896 and bolt the lathe on to it.   It would then be easy to wheel around over most surfaces including mud and gravel and easy to get in and out of the car, providing it was an estate or MPV.   Just rest the handles on the edge of the boot and then lift and push from the bottom to slide it in, it is how I get my mobility scooter in the car.

As for the bits and pieces I have a large wheeled tool box, something like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/rolling-workshop which works very well and again easy to get in and out as it comes apart so reduces the weight to be lifted.

Just my thoughts.

john

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 08:28:58 AM »
John.
You've demo'd here at Bristol. Are you thinking of something like the mobile box we have our demo lathe in. It is bolted to the top but swings down inside like an old sewing machine cabinet system. Once up, the cabinet becomes the stand. It's on casters but the can be locked to restrict movement.

If that's what you mean, let me know and I'll put you in touch with the guy that built it for some plans or photo's.

The only thing different to what you describe is the storing of tools and finishes but we've all seen demonstrators that have a home designed carry-all for them.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 11:11:44 AM »
Using this forum is like having and extra brain!!, thanks for your comments.
John T the mitre saw stand looks interesting, I may follow that one up.
Bryan when I came to Avon & Bristol I brought all my own kit so never saw your club's set up, but thinking of your venue with the steps etc is another consideration.
I am going to draw up some criteria and see what I come up with.
Many thanks.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:47 PM »
Positive: Sounds like a good idea in principle. Everything built in, on hand and maneuverable
Negative: Not sure about always getting help at clubs. How long would it take to put together, dismantle? Some clubs like to be away ten minutes after end of demo.

Pete
We have to be out of the club premises by ten as we use the show area in our local tool suppliers and the staff, volunteers bless them, want to lock up and go home.

Richard Findley had the right idea he uses Perform version of the M330 with an extension bed. This goes on a trolley with wheels which he made himself. it all goes in his car.

The big thing is as mentioned before the weight, as for club members helping just remember how old some of us look, especially the secretary!
Ron

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 05:41:53 PM »
Our club used to use a chest of drawers on wheels for the lathe stand but it was always a pain putting it in the car and transporting it. We now have one of the charnwood mitre saw stands like this one http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/charnwood-universal-folding-tool-stand-with-quick-action-clamp?cid=127 but without all the clamps etc. It just has a board attached to the top for the lathe and a few tools to sit on. Much easier to transport than the wooden cabinet.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »
edit removed
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:47:56 PM by Graham »
Regards
Graham

Offline Doug Barratt

• bronze
  • Living the dream
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2014, 08:08:05 PM »
Our club used to use a chest of drawers on wheels for the lathe stand but it was always a pain putting it in the car and transporting it. We now have one of the charnwood mitre saw stands like this one http://www.charnwood.net/shop/product/charnwood-universal-folding-tool-stand-with-quick-action-clamp?cid=127 but without all the clamps etc. It just has a board attached to the top for the lathe and a few tools to sit on. Much easier to transport than the wooden cabinet.

John, if this idea of Paul's appeals I have the Axminster version of the Charnwood saw stand (probably both made by Burt)which you are welcome to FOC as long as you can pick it up (NG18)

andersonec

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 07:57:58 PM »
You could take it a stage further, if you remember the old type of vaulting horse we used to have in the gym at schools (but not sloping as in the picture) you could have three sections which slot on top of each other, the lathe could then stand (by the way of some clamps or whatever system you devise) on the top, it would then mean simply three or four trips to the car, bottom one first slot one on top of the other, lathe on top, plug in and away you go. With the tools etc spread across the sections each one would not be as heavy as one complete unit.
Andy
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:01:32 PM by andersonec »

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 10:57:47 PM »
Doug thankyou for the very kind offer but I will not take you up on as I am still undecided as yet.
   The whole object of the exercise is to allow me to carry on demonstrating when I become infirm, old and decrepit, I know there are those out there that think I have reached that stage already but................!
  Some of the things I am taking into consideration are weight, obviously and ease of use when putting it in or out of the car. I also think about doing it in wet weather thereby enabling my tools to stay dry. Maneuverability
is another thing.
 So still on the drawing board at the moment.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 11:10:19 PM »

John, Part of it to is the type of lathe, like you say `later in life' even to the point of a sit down model .. can't see you should ever have the need arise.

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2014, 08:29:32 AM »

Some of the things I am taking into consideration are weight, obviously and ease of use when putting it in or out of the car.

You have probably thought of this already but have you looked into the mechanism that allows a stretcher, complete with patient, to be pushed into an ambulance without holding any weight ?
Regards
Graham