Author Topic: Barley Twist  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
Barley Twist
« on: January 29, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Hi all

Some of my favourite work is twist work. It is always a challenge and I find it incredibly rewarding, esspecially when the piece is from old furniture or is a feature in a listed building.

I had a job recently which was a stretcher for a footstool. The original was badly chewed by worm - I'm assured they are long gone! The twist is a kind of double twist, but the second is smaller and runs in the valley of the main twist. I'm unsure of the exact terminology. Anyway, some careful wood removal with my Proxxon angle grinder and lots of hand work with Microplanes and this is the result:

Beech, 50mm diameter and just shy of 800mm long

Cheers

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline malcy

• gold
Re: Barley Twist
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:49:43 AM »
Nice job, Richard. I've done some twist work and find them rewarding when finished. A bit frustrating though when something doesn't work out. Malcolm.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Now that really is impressive. Wouldn't know where to start.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »
Beautiful work Richard, more patience than me. I have been asked to do them but can't do them fast enough to make them pay.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:22:19 PM »
Very nice Richard Your The Man  :)

Ed

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 06:27:48 AM »
That's quite something, Richard. It makes one appreciate the value of antiques that have such elements in them - although I suspect that those resourceful Victorians had a contraption to do the bulk of the cutting-out.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 12:35:11 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys.

Pete, I will be the first to admit these jobs aren't the most profitable, but remember I don't do the arty stuff that many do, so this sort of work not only keeps my brain working but is my presentation stuff that I can show on my website and on forums etc. There is no doubt that the real money is in the big production jobs but this restoration stuff is what I love to do.

Les, the Victorians may have had a special tool, but I don't think so. I believe that labour was just incredibly cheap. If you look at this job, there is about £5-£10 worth of wood (modern selling price), the rest of my bill was labour. Now, labour is hugely expensive and so hand made, highly skilled work like this is rarely seen. The mass production machine rules now, sadly.

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
Richard without these little jobs, and no doubt you enjoyed this one,the skills would not be practiced and therefore they would be lost. Take pride in the fact that not all turners could (or would) attempt these. I handcut a replacement threaded spindle  for a customer that didn't match any threads on my thread guages so was probably cut originally by the village carpenter somewhere. Not a great erning job by any means but great satisfaction upon completion. Well done on these, a true craftsman at the top of his game.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 05:17:40 PM »
What John said.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 11:50:46 AM »
very nice work there Richard.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
Richard, a barley twist is one thing but you've also had to include the inner smaller twist as well, that is a whole new game. Wonderful bit of work to look at.

Next time you're invited to Bristol... if you're struck for something to demonstrate... Hint, hint!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 07:20:55 PM »
Good stuff Richard , you say you do not do "arty " stuff but in a way this is exactly that !  The original was made with a load of unnecessary fancy bits to attract a buyer and not simply .. form following function ...I occasionally acquire scrap furniture  and keep such pieces as barley twists for other projects , such as candlesticks .  Why have you made a bit 800 mm long for a stool stretcher ? or were you enjoying so much you just got carried away !!..  Terry...