Author Topic: Mills  (Read 1887 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Mills
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:12:47 PM »
Here are a couple of pepper mills I recently turned and decorated. I'm starting to use color as an accent on pyrography.
CandC welcome.
Thanks.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Mills
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 06:39:26 AM »
Hi Sevilla....good to see that you have clearly developed a personal style, and these are immediately recognisable as your work. The addition of colour is subtle, and works well. Of the two shapes, I prefer the first, as it flows a little better than the other shape, although it could possibly be further improved by a better flow of the curve between the body and the top of the mill.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
Thank you very much. That is the best compliment I could expect.
Regrds.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
Sevilla,

Just as Gwintog says, the delicate pyro work is immediately recognisable as your work and you've not overdone the colour using gentle shades to enhance it just enough.

However I do disagree with him over my preference, for me it's the bottom one. While the shape is not one we see here in England I do like the height and beads making the base. But more than that the top one needs a delineating feature between the grinder top and the body, which the lower grinder has.

Without such a feature it's more reminiscent of a Russian doll or bowling skittle in it's overall shape.

Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!