Author Topic: reposting trinket box  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
reposting trinket box
« on: March 15, 2015, 10:33:18 PM »
Sorry if you have already seen this post but it was hacked and I t can no longer be viewed.

I made this trinket box just before Xmas on request. The customer left the design to me.
I get asked to make boxes on an average 3-4 times a year. I am not the best at design so for future reference your C&C is encouraged, please be honest I was not sure about the overhanging lid and your comments will be considered when making the next box.
photo taken with my phone so not the best

I did put it on twitter but I wanted feedback from a few woodturners, I don't make a lot of this sort of work so advice on design is always helpful. The customer did like it but you rarely get constructive criticism from a customer.
If anyone does want to copy the design go ahead if they can make a few sales from it that's great.

I am not the best at judging shapes as I didn’t like the lid overhanging but those who have seen it so far do.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: reposting trinket box
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 10:34:51 PM »
I love it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 01:09:59 AM »
you can still view the info if you look at steve jones's last posts on the original thread, there is an option to reply and if you click it you can see the thread as usual below.

the first post is at the bottom.

copy and pasted below...

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 08:47:57 AM Posted by: Steve Jones
Insert Quote
Your spot on Les Wenge it is.
Wenge is not the best to work with I find it harder to polish than turn but it looks fab when done. I wouldn't do finials as fine as some with it this shows about the thinest I would risk.

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 08:24:53 AM Posted by: gwyntog
Insert Quote
What's the finial made of, Steve; it looks like a bit of wenge, in which case it couldn't have been easy because that stuff's not very good for fine detail?

Les

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 08:21:32 AM Posted by: Steve Jones
Insert Quote
Mark, yes I did put it on twitter but I wanted feedback from a few woodturners, I don't make a lot of this sort of work so advice on design is always helpful. The customer did like it but you rarely get constructive criticism from a customer.
If anyone does want to copy the design go ahead if they can make a few sales from it that's great.

It does go to show I am not the best at judging shapes as I didn’t like the lid overhanging but those who have seen it do.

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 08:08:23 AM Posted by: gwyntog
Insert Quote
Hi Steve...it does remind me of your urn with the threaded lid....a similar style. What's exciting is that it's not a style that many of us use these days, but it's certainly working for you and getting commendations here. Perhaps you're onto something new that a few more of us might be trying.
Les

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 08:07:30 AM Posted by: GBF
Insert Quote
I like everything about this
I have not done many box's but they seem to be very popular with the ladies I expect this one has lots of little trinkets in it now.

Regards George

Posted on: March 15, 2015, 07:59:03 AM Posted by: Mark Sanger
Insert Quote
Hi Steve

I am sure I have seen this elsewhere, Twitter I think, or I might just be going mad. Smiley The overhanging lid for me works, I like the overall design very much, it has a nice flow, finished off with your usual excellent finish. Did you customer like it ?  I am sure they did. 

Posted on: March 14, 2015, 11:09:20 PM Posted by: seventhdevil
Insert Quote
more of a bowl man myself but i must say that that really works well, nice curves and i like the finial and overall shape.

beautiful bit of yew too...

Posted on: March 14, 2015, 11:03:36 PM Posted by: Steve Jones
Insert Quote
I made this trinket box just before Xmas on request. The customer left the design to me.
I get asked to make boxes on a average 3-4 times a year. I am not the best at design so for future reference your C&C is encouraged, please be honest I was not sure about the overhanging lid and your comments will be considered when making the next box.
photo taken with my phone so not the best

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 06:26:29 AM »
Thanks Steve,
The photo I posted in reply to Les did not work I will leave that as it doesn't really relate to this box.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 10:49:26 AM »

Every thing flows very well  with this piece Steve..... just enough detail so as not to detract the eye from
   the form and functionality....... Well worth the wait ...... Thank you for re posting.
   Tony  di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 04:41:20 PM »
The form looks great. I like it
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 09:20:03 PM »
Hi Steve,
            I like this box the form the wood the finish everything about it I am only sorry you only get asked to do 3 or 4 a year I was looking forward to seeing some more. ;D
                           Regards John
John Smith

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 07:46:05 AM »
Steve thanks for reposting this as I hadn't had a cnance to see it before. I see what you mean about the over hanging lid, that would not be my personal choice either. I wonder if on a practical level the lid should sit on the break we see at the top of the box, in which case the lid may have to be a slightly different shape. The shape of this lid is not what we normally see on a box and I quite like it.
Good finish too. Shame you don't get more orders for them.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 01:35:53 PM »
I also agree, there is nothing wrong with the shape of the bowl, but for me it's the knob (finial) that finishes it, you have got that nicely balanced and very well tuerned, it does look a treat.

Is it Wenge?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »
Thanks for all your feedback. John I think I shall try that with the next one it will flow nicely.
John I don't mind only doing 3-4 a year this sort of work is more satisfying than my normal work but the run of the mill work keeps me very busy and has paid the bills for many years and as long as I am turning all day I am happy and I get lots of other commission work that gives me a varied work load.
Bryan, yes it is Wenge.