General Category > General Discussion

Purchasing from the USA

(1/4) > >>

John D Smith:
I am posting this for information.

I have just made my first purchase from Craft Supplies USA.My purchase was for $30 plus $8.20 Shipping.You have to remember
the extra charges when purchasing from the USA.
Goods purchased and imported into the EU with a value over £18 are subjected to VAT @ 20% also a Royal Mail International handling fee of £8. and over £135 are subjected to import duty and Excise Duty.

So my purchase of about £19 cost me £3.70 vat plus £8 to the Royal Mail another £11.70.on top of my purchase.

Regards John 

woodndesign:

Hi John,  Has your purchase already get here and this has been the cost or is it still to come...  as exchange rates vary..  this moment $38.20 is about £23.76..    hope it's not that,  let us know.

I wonder how it is VAT can ever be charge for anything made/supplied from outside of the UK..  as VAT came about as a manufacturing charge for UK manufactures to make money as parts passed between them..  now the buck stops with us..

David

Paul Hannaby:
Hi John,
Here's a quote from the HMRC website

You will have to pay Import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £18

Note that on all goods from outside the EU, Customs Duty is waived if the amount of duty calculated is £9 or under.

So at a 20% rate, the £9 duty would equate to a purchase price of £45 so the duty should be waived on your order because it is less than this amount.

Here's a link to the page in question, I found this bit about half way down the page.
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/post/buying.htm

By the way, if you are charged import duty, Parcel Force also charge a collection fee of around £8 ! If you don't pay, the goods are returned to the sender.

John D Smith:
Hi David, Yes I have received the goods but I had to go to my local Royal Mail sorting office pay the £11.70 before they would hand over the parcel.
Paul, Thanks for the info and the link.It is something worth considering when buying from the USA.Regards John

woodndesign:

John, Glad it cost no more.. we usually get a letter to say, call us and pay up or else, so it's a debit payment before they'll deliver...

We'll see some fancy pens soon..

David

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version