Author Topic: Rotten Oak  (Read 2285 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Rotten Oak
« on: March 30, 2015, 04:56:19 PM »
This was a nasty piece of smelly rotten oak languishing at the bottom of a pile in the garden.  It's taken a while to get it to this stage what with having to let it dry in between turnings.  the top edge was very flaky so I brushed out the rubbish with a wire brush....personally I quite like the effect but then I did it...so I would like it ;-)

Ended up having to hand sand it due to it going quite a way out of round and not wanting to risk putting it back on the lathe (that big crack is quite loose now it's mostly dry).

Overall I'm quite pleased and I certainly like it but I like pretty much everything I do at the moment :-) so really appreciate c&c from more experienced and more objective eyes.

It's about 7" round x 5" high

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Rotten Oak
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 05:06:07 PM »
Looking at the sort of thing you are doing is very nostalgic. When I got back into turning I was chucking all and every bit of wood I could on the lathe and having a go at it. Main thing I would say is try and refine the shapes of the pieces. If they are fragile as this sounds one trick is to get the outer shape right, sand back to a good finish then wrap in tape securely before turning inside. In a sense you are jumping in the deep end as getting something good from pieces like this is a lot harder than using decent wood. just be careful as rotten wood or wood with splits can have unexpected faults and burst on you so make sure you are wearing a decent mask. Also be careful of the dust when sanding, lots of muck and stuff in it when the wood is rotten or spalted.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:06:34 PM »
Wot he said ^  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
Jumping in a the deep end....yes, that sounds like me ;D  It's not as if I don't have much decent wood, there's plenty waiting for me in the pile.  I do though really prefer the look of pieces that are left with bark, inclusions and other imperfections.

I'll have a go at reshaping it tomorrow.....perhaps more curvy and thinner....eggshell-like...

I always use a faceshield and a decent mask when sanding....low risk tolerance here  :)

Thanks for the honesty, very much appreciated. 

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:15:35 PM »
there's nothing like a bit of rotten wood to play with  :) and a big pot of CA  :) :) :)

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 11:03:22 AM »
sounds like a good idea Chris,but don`t go to thin ,or wear a full face mask in case it go bang, if you do go thin,be nice to see the results of the re-turning.
welcome to my woodturning world