General Category > General Discussion

Workshop's going up at last

(1/9) > >>

Philip Green:
I have been planning this for over a year and now things are happening that will make my dream come true.

My early plans for the workshop was 7m x 3m. My intention was to do some woodwork during my retirement but then I got "bit be the bug" and had to find room for a lathe and tool sharpening system as well as everything else and is now to be 7m x 3.5m. I had thought of going up to 8m x 4 but changed my mind late in the day.

Very early thoughts were that it should be rendered block construction but that soon gave way to timber frame.  Anyway, after much consideration, I decided to buy a log cabin with insulated floor & roof plus 70mm thick walls.

The attached files show my current workshop, situated in an old stone barn on the side of our cottage. Since these photographs were taken, I have acquired a load of wood and more tools so it is getting difficult to find room to stand and work.

Philip Green:
The decision on where to site my workshop was pretty easy really. An old pigs house and outside toilet were in danger of falling down so with them gone, I had most of the area I needed available. The rest was robbed from the garden.

theblindwoodturner:
Hey.

I'm uploading my workshop pics now so you could get a feel for what a wooden workshop could become.

If you need some advice on soundproofing / winter insulation, etc let me know and I'd be happy to help with advice, etc.

good on you mate.

lew

Philip Green:
Thanks Lew. Being in the country with no near neighbors, I shouldn't have a need for soundproofing and with 70mm thick wooden walls, hopefully I won't require wall insulation. I won't know until much later if I need either but if I do, I will bear your offer in mind.

The outside toilet was built of stone so I demolished the top half by hand so that I could re-use the stone on other projects. The stone here in Cornwall is either granite or as in this case, slate.

A digger made short work of the remainder and I ended up with a flat, if not level, worksite.

Philip Green:
Adie's adventures in laying her base described on the Woodworkers Institute forum inspired me to get a professional in to do mine.

The back of the work site slopes away so we had to move the base further into the garden than had originally been intended. The last photo shows where we had got to when my wife and I went to stay with our middle son for a week.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version