Author Topic: More elm.....  (Read 1865 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
More elm.....
« on: May 03, 2015, 07:39:00 PM »
Tried turning a lump of quite wet cherry today.  Got the same problem as yesterday....past a certain point it was very difficult to smooth the sides.  I had it looking rally good at about 9mm, at 6mm it was noisy and bumpy so out came the scraper...all good until I got too close to the rim, got a catch and the whole thing just exploded  :'(

So, I tried a piece of very well seasoned cherry....about 25 years seasoned.  Very hard but looked great.  Eventually got the bottom roughed out and noticed a crack from one edge to about 2/3rds of the way across and about half the depth so put that to one side.

So it was back to the elm......and an exercise in straight sides.  It's a form I like....I have a few ceramic bowls similar.  Not sure about the rim....think it would have been better tapering to a point, and ideally a smaller foot, but overall I'm pleased.

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
Re: More elm.....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 01:32:25 AM »
Well turned Chris, i would also be pleased with it if i had turned it. You can always taper the rim and do a smaller foot on the next one  ;) if your not sure, but i think that it all works. Les

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 02:55:35 PM »

Like this one Chris ..... has a very modern look to the form ...... nicely finished.
    Regards Tony & Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 03:05:22 PM »
i also like it and like the sharp lip with the straight sides.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »
Thanks all.  It's passed the swmbo test and is now in use so must be ok!  ;)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
So it was back to the elm......and an exercise in straight sides.  It's a form I like....I have a few ceramic bowls similar.  Not sure about the rim....think it would have been better tapering to a point, and ideally a smaller foot, but overall I'm pleased.

Strange as it sounds, 'Straight' is not as easy as you'd think, you've done well.

Looking at your last (follow-up post comment), a smaller foot would have made it more unstable, great for a display item, not so good for a functional one.

And I have a similar shaped ceramic bowl in my collection, the foot is 3 beads, it looks great as a ceramic, as wood, it does not work.

It's passed the swmbo test and is now in use so must be ok!

Ah, the most important test of function.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!