Author Topic: Elm bowl....again...  (Read 2581 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Elm bowl....again...
« on: May 02, 2015, 07:23:49 PM »
More elm.....sorry about that....it's seems to be about all I've got apart from some very, very well aged apple which is alternately very soft and very hard/brittle....my skills aren't up to coping with it yet.  

So, this was an exercise in a simple form....and the Mrs wanted a fruit bowl.  It's about 8" diameter, almost 3" high.  Had some real difficulties with the sides which got more difficult as I got thinner (the walls that is, not me.....we went out for a big anniversary meal last night, I am certainly not getting any thinner!), I'm guessing it was the vibration issue Bryan alluded to in a previous post....it got quite noisy and I had real trouble getting a smooth surface.  Ended up using a heavy scraper very gently to get rid of the undulations.

Anyway, it seems to have worked and I quite like this one.  Finished off by using a large mdf pressure plate as suggested by Richard Findley in a recent Woodturner mag.....worked a treat.

Finished with microcrystaline wax, 2 coats.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
Re: Elm bowl....again...
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 07:30:46 PM »
....Ended up using a heavy scraper very gently to get rid of the undulations......
....and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Whilst some of the more time-served professionals get their finish straight off the gouge, may of us (both amateur and professional) use a scraper for exactly that purpose. The pertinent fact is not HOW you achieved the finish, but that you recognised the issue and found away around it in order to achieve a good finish.

As for the bowl; what's not to like about it? Its beuty lies in its simplicity.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 07:45:31 PM »
A very nice finish with what can be a very difficult wood a slightly smaller foot would have been my choice but that is just mytaste.
Very well done.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 08:28:47 PM »
If all you've got is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

If all you have is Elm (lucky you), don’t apologise when you turn it.

As George notes the foot is a bit wide, but otherwise the shape and finish is excellent. And you even found a little spalting as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 05:20:53 PM »
Thanks all, much appreciated.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2015, 10:04:42 PM »

Please .. Please ... More Elm .. I miss not having Elm ..  :'( ..

Now someone has to be very pleased with your results here, must look a treat loaded with fruit.

Only we as fellow turners can be critical of the foot, I'm trying to place if you'd rolled in a small lift to detail the foot, you've removed the chucking point, did the chuck govern the foot size .. the other point as commented before cut few a detail line or so to add highlight .. you're not lacking on form nor finish else wise.   Nice Piece.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 09:29:30 AM »
did the chuck govern the foot size

No....the original plan was to have a small foot to lift the bowl such that the curve finished at ground level, if you know what I mean.  However, the foot didn't work (I messed it up) so it had to come off.  The tenon was only about 46mm so plenty of scope for a smaller foot.

Detail lines, yes, will try and remember next time  ;D

Thanks

Chris

Offline Walnut Les

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 08:01:16 PM »
Nice looking bowl Chris. I like it because it has a little bit of spalt in it. Les