Author Topic: Product launch with some familiar faces...  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
Product launch with some familiar faces...
« on: May 21, 2015, 01:09:49 PM »
Hi all

The subject of just how you go about selling items has been discussed many times. I recently had a guy come to me wanting shave bowls and brush handles. He is a marketing guy with a passion for shaving. After much back and forth with samples etc he has just launched the product range with a system called 'Kickstarter' which is a new thing to me, but I can certainly see possibilities with it!

The video is worth a watch, see if you recognise anyone...

I just thought some of you may be interested in seeing how a marketing guy sells products... almost makes you want to have a shave doesn't it!!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/253531216/thomas-clipper-the-best-shave-in-history/

Cheers

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Product launch with some familiar faces...
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
Nice campaign, and nice video. I wonder, though, how long that one tree will last...

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 03:57:38 PM »
I know a few crafts people who have used Kickstarter to get up and running. It's apparently very effective as long as you promote it and don't just expect people to know about it.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 06:32:35 AM »
Thanks for posting - very interesting - that should keep you busy- for a bespoke product it would be good to see a range of woods to choose from and it would open it up fro when this single tree has gone.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 09:21:38 AM »
Certainly should keep me busy for a while. It looks like the product launch has been quite a success, he has exceeded his target within the first few hours!

The bowls and brushes aren't that big, so the Chestnut should last for quite some time, although Nigel has been selling some of it so who knows!

Regarding Kickstarter, recently a member of the Intagram woodturning community ran an offer for hand made pens which also exceeded her expectations, although she does have several thousand Intagram followers, but even so, it shows what can be done with a bit of effort!

Thanks for looking

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley