Author Topic: A few bits of beech  (Read 5288 times)

Offline TWiG

• gold
A few bits of beech
« on: June 12, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
Recently finished a few pieces made from Beech ( one burred )  both about 300mm tall , the one on the black base is from a bit of a seies I have done with various woods  Terry..

Offline TWiG

• gold
Re: A few bits of beech
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »
This one missing from post !!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 05:04:13 PM »
Other side of first one showing burr in all its glory  ( not common on Beech )   

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 05:15:28 PM »
Well, Terry, what an understated title to your thread. Each of these pieces is rather nice. I really like both forms, but the composition of the plinth, branch and form just works so well that it has to be my favourite.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 05:54:48 PM »

That's one cracking piece of Burr that's well turned and finished...... the composition piece is well balanced and pleasing
  on the eye.
  Tony & di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
wow - i like them both
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 06:57:11 PM »
Thanks for the comments  chaps , I have 5 more lumps of wood in HF blanks of about 20-25 kilo of beech burr so will post more when finished , although I am not turning much at the moment ( I do not do much turning in summer ) but have a lot of rough turned bowls to finish ..... horrible dusty work ... I prefer to turn green wood any day .....Terry ..

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:59 PM »
Lovely work, both of them. If I had a preference it would probably be for the first one though I do like the use of other pieces as in the second one but am not personally so keen o the obviously carved slot though have to admit it works with the natural look of the branch. Can't really critique either as far as quality etc is concerned only personal preference. I'#d be more than happy with either if I had done them.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

GREEN MAN

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:35 PM »
Hello Terry great to see you posting some of your work on here again - I thought you had disappeared off on your summer activities  :)

I have long admired your work and that beech burr has to be up there with your finest.  What a fantastic bit of wood and turned in your usual skilful way, showing the wood it off at its best.

As you stated Beech burr is very uncommon, in fact I don't think I have ever come across any, apart from those nobules that you find at the base around the roots.

A great find thanks for sharing

Kind regards

David

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:50 PM »
These are both lovely pieces in my view. If I had to choose, I'd take the second one, simply because it has a more artistic feel to it. In the first piece it's mostly the wood itself that is marvellous. In the second piece you had to work a little harder to get that final WOW effect, and I like that. As Pete said, I'd be very happy to have done either of them.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:35 AM »
Hi Terry

I have to agree with Les What a understatement "A few bits of beech" I'd like to see what you call a few stunning bits of beech :)

The burr looks a cracker, then the other piece just looks so graceful and well balanced on it's mounting.

I love seeing your work keep em coming

Ed

Offline Haggy

• bronze
  • "You can keep your ashes in that " Wife
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 09:32:01 PM »
Stunning work - something to try to aspire to.
fuzzyturns seems to say it all.
     Haggy

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2015, 07:11:42 PM »
The form and finish of the First (and last) photo piece is excellently executed. The grain effect you found in that piece of wood is amazing, I would never have guessed it was beech if you had not said so.

Not sure about the middle image, looks too much like a 'Leathery egg' to me. Keep expecting something to 'pop' out of it!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
"keep expecting something to pop out of it "...... That is exactly what it is meant to suggest ... a seed pod that has sprung forward new life after the fire  .( the base and stick are scorched ) ..Well done !!!.... Terry..

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 07:28:19 PM »
Beautiful pieces there Terry,I like the top one the best,something about wood with natural holes in it always looks better to my eye,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world