Author Topic: Record DML305  (Read 3890 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Record DML305
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:17:55 PM »
Hi All
I would like to ask any owners of the above machine if they have problems with the motor overheating. We were using one on a hands on night recently, and you could not touch the motor. There was also a strong smell of plastic burning or getting hot. The spindle is free and the belt tensioned correctly. I await your replies with anticipation.
Roger Groom

theblindwoodturner

Re: Record DML305
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:33:03 PM »
Though I'm not an owner of said lathe, I have experience with Record Power products.

The motor sounds like it is taking in dust. it's always important to clean the fan housing to the motor either with compressed air or a vacuum. I would contact Record Power directly as this is a motor fault very similar to some of the older lathes. They will either arrange collection and service the lathe or send you a new motor depending on what they say. I had this happen with a CL3 twice and a CL4 once where there was an electrical fault within the motor and on the inverter to the CL4.

let us know how you get on.

good luck.

lew.

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:41:15 PM »
Hi Roger

I have the DML305 and yes the motor does get very hot, they is a sticker to this effect near the motor.

I have not had any smell coming off the motor. I know most motors get hot when running.

Philip

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
Hi Roger

I had a Record lathe and the motor got hot.  My pal has a 305 and we use it at events and the motor also gets warm.

I'd get in touch with Record through their "Support" link on their website - I have used this on a number of occasions and found them to be very helpful and teh service has been excellent.

You need to register first

The link is: http://www.recordpower.co.uk/index.php?section=register

Cheers Dave

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 08:09:42 AM »
Direct contact number for Record Power

Tel: 01246 561 520

lew