Author Topic: Oak Bowl  (Read 2590 times)

Offline Derek

• platinum
Oak Bowl
« on: June 30, 2015, 11:00:41 PM »
I have had this blank sitting in the wood shed for some time, anyway thought I would have a go at turning it.

This measures 13" across and is 2" deep and as the title is from Oak which was hard many trips to the grinder even after attacking it with a carbide tool.

Sanded to 600grit and finished with Cellulose sander sealer and the on to the wheeled buffing system.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Oak Bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 11:21:19 PM »
hmm, I like it. Nice discus shape. Not sure about the gloss finish. On open grained wood I tend to prefer a satin finish, but then, that's a personal preference. Should be very tactile, though.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:45 AM »
Lovely line, right up my street, chunky but with a delicate feel about it.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »
as with Fuzzy and z3ddie, I too feel that this is a tactile shape....the high waist of the bowl will make it an easy shape to pick up and feel.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 12:37:58 PM »
Thank you for the comments I was hoping for the bottom to become the top but a split dictated that I turn it this way. I know many don't like to see chucking points but I need to make a doughnut chuck for larger pieces like this as I could not get it over the bed and use the tailstock to hold it to remove it which would also mean loosing 1/4" off the bottom.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 12:57:11 PM »
As far as I am concerned, anything goes as long as it doesn't interfere with the shape of the final product. In this case it doesn't, so no problem.

Where I object to expansion chucking points is where they cause the turner to leave an unnaturally big foot on the bowl/box/vase/whatever. In essence, in those cases the tool dictated the outcome, and that should not be the case.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 08:34:26 PM »
I think this is a slightly masculine shape, that is something that would appeal to men. I'd be happy with this as a Life bowl. Somewhere to put keys/wallet etc., when I empty my pockets after a day at work.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 09:14:26 PM »
I think this is a slightly masculine shape, that is something that would appeal to men. I'd be happy with this as a Life bowl. Somewhere to put keys/wallet etc., when I empty my pockets after a day at work.

Thank you and yes I agree that it would be more for men also the weight of it as there is some mass still in this piece compared to a lot that I turn

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »

Like the modern shape of this piece ....... suits the wood very well........ spot on
    Tony & Di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »

Like the modern shape of this piece ....... suits the wood very well........ spot on
    Tony & Di

Sorry for late reply anyway thank you for the comment as always much appreciated from yourselves