Author Topic: As yet untitled  (Read 3810 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
As yet untitled
« on: July 17, 2015, 07:24:13 PM »
Here is my next piece which is as yet untitled, I might just call it "Reconstructed bowl" because that is what it is. It stands about 160mm high and is made from Mahogany. The base is Walnut. The reconstruction includes the support.
As always C&C welcome .

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: As yet untitled
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 07:27:12 PM »
I really like this John.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 09:47:23 PM »
I too, really like it, but there are 2 issues that strike me.....the thread could have been much lighter, then it wouldn't have bunched-up quite so much, and the plinth doesn't seem right to me. I think that it might be better if it were square. As it is, it strikes me as being a traditional sort of plinth...you know, turned to a circle with a bead around the edge....just too bog-standard for such a remarkable piece.
Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:06:18 PM »
George thankyou for your comments.
Les thankyou too for yours, I have to laugh though because the last piece that I did had square bases and people said they should be round and this one has a round base and you are saying it should be square LOL.
     I did actually try it on a square base and for me it did not work hence the round one. I take your point about the thread, originally I tried it with a thinner gold wire and once again it did not work but perhaps a thinner white thread would have. By the way the pod shape rotates so once again whoever owns it eventually will have the choice of how to display it to their liking.
Thanks for your input.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:34:23 PM »
John,

I don't know why but I'm seeing a seed pod.

No idea what pod or even if there is now if there is one that looks like this, but that's what I see.

I think Les is right in suggesting thinner thread, or wire, bear with me, copper core from twin & earth, allowed to oxidise eventually giving a green verdigre effect.

Okay, I'll shut up now...
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 06:01:24 AM »
Well BHT you have done it again another fine piece wood woodturning art  :)

I can agree with the comments on using a finer thread to reduce the mass where all the strings cross over.

The base looks much better than the block of wood.

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
Hi John.

I keep returning to this one because I like it a lot .The strings for me are OK but there has been something niggling away about the base I was never sure if it looked right to me so I never said anything because I never really had an answer. Having repeatedly looked at the base I think the colour is good the shape is good it is just not bold enough. I think it would be better if it was thicker probably a little over twice as thick.

Regards George

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 10:35:29 AM »
Hi John

I have been looking at this and I love the idea 'why didn't I come up with first'  :) It is great seeing more and more of this sort of work being experimented with. 

For me the inclusion of a natural base clashes with the black and white theme and personally I would carry on this monotone scheme into the base. I would also make it rectangular or a triangular again to carry on the contemporary feel and sharp corners on the base would contrast the curves of the main piece that holds the strings. have you thought of using Memory wire for these might look good, stainless and black is a nice combo.

The only other point I think you might want to consider is the profile/curve of the section the pod section is suspended from. Here you have the curve of the pod which is not mirrored in the stand which in its self straightens, I appreciate that this part is the base of the bowl and the pod comes from the side sections, if you made the bowl more spherical in the base then this would mimic the curve in the pod and give it a continuity which I feel would compliment the piece much more, as is the stand for me detracts from it and draws my eye.

Great concept and I am looking forward to seeing more of these.

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 10:57:51 AM »
Thanks for your comments.
 George the base did start thicker but to my eye looked wrong so I made it thinner but I agree now that it should be thicker.
Mark I did make a square base but again I didn't think it worked so changed it. I wish I had thought of memory wire as that is exactly what I need to make these. The gold wire just crinkled up and looked absolute rubbish. If I made another one I would turn a round bottomed bowl as once again I agree that the profiles together would look better.
  The pod itself is not suspended but rather captured as I have used watch strap retainers to hold it in place, this allows it to revolve if needs be.
I do really value all your comments so please keep them coming.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 11:42:56 AM »
I think this is a great piece and if you are prepared to treat it as basis for things to come and you are prepared to use this as a concept I think there will be great things to come.

Regards George

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
Thankyou George, this one will stay as it is now as I will take it to the seminar but I will make another, I already have ideas for a couple more at least and all the points that everyone has raised will be reconsidered. One of the points about the string being too thick may be overcome by making a larger piece, this one is just over 6" high so the next one may be 2' high.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 10:20:59 PM »
All the criticisim I habe are based on peonal opinion which are irrelevant. I like it, think it is original and well made and can't realy therefore offer any comment other than the one Mark made, 'why didn't I come up with first'

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2015, 07:53:01 AM »
reminds me of a georgian spinning fob seal, thanks for sharing and a nice bit of turning.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2015, 08:39:41 AM »
I look forward to seeing it for real.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?