General Category > General Discussion

Well I gave it a good go!

<< < (2/2)

theblindwoodturner:
a cracking idea. It's worth having a bow saw if you're not equipped with a chainsaw so you can cut your wet material. Green turning to be honest is a pleasure of mine and if you've not tried it already, give it a go. only thing to keep an eye on is the logs you acquire. splitting is inevitable  so it's best to rip a log in two and remove the pith to stabilise it.

Avoid softwoods like spruce and connifer woods as these are poisonous in terms of dusts generated. the smell is intense and the finish as shocking as a cow speaking english for the first time.

lew

Dave Atkinson:
Hello John

Sorry it's not going to plan.  Having seen your place  I know what you mean about the space.

Good luck in the future

Cheers Dave

thebowlerhattedturner:
Hello John,
               I have not had much time lately to do any posting but after reading your post about selling up I feel compelled to post to you.In the days when I used to recieve a pay packet on a Friday(Oh those halcyon days!)I was turning as a hobby and through various reasons I gave up and sold all my kit.From the moment I sold it I regretted my decision and made a pact with myself NEVER to sell tools or equipment again.When I set up again I was staggared at the cost of tools and machines and felt that I could never replace the tool quality and diversity that I had before. For ages I found myself looking for tools in the chest that I no longer had. You can address the extractor issue by going to the dump and getting an old vacuum cleaner and sorting out some tubing, that will do temorarily. Your previous postings in the gallery show that you have a talent, this means you have the ability to produce something that others may wish to purchase. You may not earn a living at it(as I do) but you will always be able to make and sell things and so subsidise your hobby if not your household income.
I'm sorry if you feel that I am ranting but I do feel you should think again. Even if you pack it all away at least you still have the option there.
Regards
John
BHT

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version