Author Topic: Feline Disaster  (Read 2293 times)

Offline Schurchy

• copper
Feline Disaster
« on: August 06, 2015, 10:37:08 AM »
Hi All

I need some advise. I have been turning some of these Vases with Tulips of late (see Pic below). I finished one last night for someone at work and put it on my mantelpiece. This morning my little furry friend (not so much of a friend now) decided to inspect the profile and was obviously not happy with it so knocked it onto the marble hearth below adding a dented feature !!!  :-\

So I now need to re-turn the outside profile. I'm going to reuse the jam chuck I used to finish the bottom but I need to support it at the tailstock end. I was think of mounting some scrap wood for the live centre to stick in to. So here's my question, do I use wood glue, hot melt or double sided tape? Not having down this before I thought I'd ask. Obviously I need to remove it without needing too much tidying up after.

Steve
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Feline Disaster
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 10:45:24 AM »
It depends on your jam chuck. If the chuck is a good fit and quite tight, it will transfer all the rotational force you need, and then the tail stock really only has to make sure it stays centered. In that case double-sided tape will do the trick (or maybe nothing at all, just a little pressure).

If the jam chuck is relatively loose, and therefore the tail stock needs to press the work piece in to provide the necessary friction AND make sure it doesn't wander off, then you might want to look at hot glue. When removing the glued on block, first heat it up, until you can pull the waste block off, then let the glue cool down until you can easily touch it (no more than 50 degrees Celsius, then peel it off. That way it has less of a tendency to leave residue behind.

How big is the dent? If it's a small one, you might be able to carefully remove the finish, put a little water on, and wait for the wood to swell, then sand back into shape and seal again.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 11:03:52 AM »
Steve if it was me, I would turn a dovetail to fit your chuck but just slightly larger diameter and then carefully bore a largeish hole through the middle and then cut a recess the same diameter as the top of the vase. I would then cut a slot through the ring and then you will have a gripping device, a bit better than a jam chuck that will allow you to remount the vase, the tail stock will then not be needed as long as your cuts are delicate. Hope this makes sense. ;D ;D ;D

Offline Schurchy

• copper
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
Hi Thanks for your reply. The jam chuck is effectively a reasonably good fitting spigot for the centre of the vase. I just need the tailstock to keep the bottom running true so I think I will go for the double sided tape method.
I had wondered about using water and letting it swell, however the damage is quite a sharp line as if it hit the edge of the hearth.

I'm just hoping that I don't need to take too much off and therefore changing the profile.

Thanks Again

Steve
Steve

It doesn't matter how perfect it looks, there's always room for improvement.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 11:05:54 AM »
Hi Steve  --  I have made a hardwood sleeve out of a mahogany offcut to fit over the live tail stock centre. I can then bring the tailstock up to the jam chuck without doing any damage to the work, it keeps the piece centred nicely  --  Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 08:38:48 PM »
You could make the jam chuck a nice snug fit by using a small off cut of CAT FUR  !!!!  ha ha

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:44 PM »
You could make the jam chuck a nice snug fit by using a small off cut of CAT FUR  !!!!  ha ha

And there was me thinking cats had no uses!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!