Author Topic: Clock Movements  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Clock Movements
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:43:04 AM »
I make just a few clocks to order with the skeleton movements as show in the clock below. I have not had a problem before but the last two I have made the movements are losing time. I have replaced the movement for one customer and they have again experienced problems with losing time. Has anyone else had this problem. I am now not going to make these clocks until I am sure the movements are ok. I think I shall need to look for an alternative type/maker. Any ideas?

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: Clock Movements
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 12:08:45 PM »
Where do you get yours from Steve ? It's not something I have made yet but a few of the guys at the club have made them with no issues so far using the Axminster kits. Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 12:18:30 PM »
Thanks Julian, I have bought from turners retreat and mega quartz both are the same manufacturer. Axminster only supply the 150 mm dia one which is too big for this style clock.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 02:20:49 PM »

Steve,  I've never got round to using this firm .. yet wonder if they should have what you're looking fore... http://www.budetime.co.uk/ ..

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 02:44:41 PM »
Thanks David,
that looks a useful site, I can't see any skeleton movements but I will study it later.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
Thanks David,
that looks a useful site, I can't see any skeleton movements but I will study it later.

After posting .. noticed they'd not had skeleton movements ... then what you may have in a cupboard ..

Another to consider ... looks more promising .. https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse.php/section/287/level/3  .. https://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse.php/section/7192/level/4 ...

Cheers   David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »
Thanks again David,
I have the Style & Bates catalogue. I do think that these look like the same manufacturer so my question remains are they reliable?

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 07:53:25 PM »
I buy mine from Turners Retreat and not had a problem with them.   Back in the days of Meantime they had one of the movements that came with a label saying do not use Duracel batteries.   Just to be on the safe side I do not put Duracell batteries in any of mine.

A long shot but might be the problem, if not have a word with TR it might be a bad batch.

john

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »
..... movements that came with a label saying do not use Duracel batteries.   Just to be on the safe side I do not put Duracell batteries in any of mine.

That strikes me as very odd since Duracell batteries are guaranteed NOT to leak and are advertised as lasting longer than alternative makes

Did the label indicate why there was a contra-indication to Duracell?

MC

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2015, 09:08:47 AM »
..... movements that came with a label saying do not use Duracel batteries.   Just to be on the safe side I do not put Duracell batteries in any of mine.

That strikes me as very odd since Duracell batteries are guaranteed NOT to leak and are advertised as lasting longer than alternative makes

Did the label indicate why there was a contra-indication to Duracell?

MC

Thanks John,
I have seen this and the information it said use zinc chloride type batterries, do not use alkaline batterries like Duracell.
I am sure this is only on the smallest skeleton movement and I provided two zinc chloride batteries with the clocks so am sure it was not this.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:54 AM »
That is a beautiful clock and it looks like it would be a lot of work.

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
That is a beautiful clock and it looks like it would be a lot of work.

Regards george
Thanks George, a fair amount of work but looks more than it is, once you have all the sizes worked out they are quite simple.